Whidbey Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NavyDoll

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All...

Wondering if anyone has done any diving at/from Whidbey Island?? Are there any good shore dives??

I'm on Vancouver Island and looking to take a 'local' dive trip... considering Whidbey and also Quadra Island up here in Canada... but am open to other suggestions!!

Thanks..
NavyDoll

cfnavychick@hotmail.com

Go even further and go to Port Hardy!!! Not that Quadra isn't great from all that my friends tell me. I don't think you would go wrong with either one and they are most certainly better than anything on Whidbey.

There is no comparison. Whidbey has some good diving if you're local ... but I wouldn't travel long distances to dive there, particularly if I already lived on Van Isle (where the diving is much better anyway).

Quadra Island, on the other hand, has some of the best walls I've ever dived ... with such an abundance of life that it's often impossible to see the substrate for the marine growth.

If those are your two choices, it's a no-brainer ... go to Quadra.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Have you dove and /or done the local charters around Victoria? Lots of great diving there. For sure, do a charter out to Race Rocks and do Ogden Point jetty. Wrecks and diving on the Sechelt side and a new op there as well at a lodge. I did a great little wall shore dive at Patricia Point. Ogden Point dive shop has details and charters for shore and boat diving in the area. Great folks!

Don't forget Nanaimo. or Comox, which has a new charter op. Both can be done as a day trip for you.

I dive every year at Quadra and bang for the buck it's great. I have a trip report on my website below. Port Hardy may be better, but it does take a charter/lodge and can cost a bit.

Whidbey has a couple of sites, but they aren't nearly as good as what you have locally; which is some of the best cold water diving in the world!

Jack

I can't believe Uncle Pug or OE2X didn't post a link to their Port Hardy trip thread. You can check it out here. I'm hoping to head up there one day. I just need to get a boat first!

Dive Quadra first. Best diving for very reasonable price. If you're flush, go Hardy. Make Whidbey an also ran. OK diving from a couple spots from shore, but not as good as your own back yard.

jackconnick:
Port Hardy may be better, but it does take a charter/lodge and can cost a bit.
Only for the weenies who need a warm bed and roof over their head. :D

In January four of us spent $330 each total, including fuel, food and ferry for a week of diving in Port Hardy. Of course we were sleeping outside in the back of the pickup truck and cooking on a camp stove... and the air temp was 18F.

edit> just checked Sean's link and see that the above is already spelled out in greater detail. :D

Hi All..

Thanks for the input. I've decided Quadra and/or Port Hardy... based on the pics and information you've all provided! Also hoping to make it to the mainland for some Howe Sound area dives...

Jack... yes, I've done alot of local diving both shore and boat dives. I have nearly 300 dives.. and all but about 6 have been in southern Vancouver Island area.. farthest south is Seattle and farthest north Nanaimo.

thanks..
navydoll

Back
Top Bottom