Which wetsuit to wear in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jedah

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

We'll be diving for the first time in the North Shore, Kona, and Maui from June 6 - June 16 and would like to know what the average water temp would be then and what wetsuit to wear. We will be doing 3-4 dives / day for 6 days (not back-2-back).

We have 5mm full wetsuits, and 3mm shorties, which ones should be take??

Thanks!

J.

The shortie would probably be OK, but watch out for fire coral. You DON'T want to get into that.

If it were me, I would probably wear a diveskin (if I had one) for the first dive or two and then a 3mm for the subsequent dives.

Thank you guys!

It looks like I'll be wearing my shorty, and my fiancee will wear her 5mm.

J.

"3-4 dives / day for 6 days" is a lot of time underwater with temps at depth of 78°. 5mm should be ok for your main squeeze, but you might start getting chilled after a while. When I was doing 4 dives/day, I wore a 3/2 without a hood - sometimes put the hood on for the 4th dive.

I have to agree with Tom. If you were only going to do 2 tanks a day, the shorty would be fine, but 3-4 dives a day for 6 days is going to really suck the heat outta you. Wear the 3mm full suit, you'll be much happier.

I'd invest in a 3mm full, the 5mm will be too hot and the 3mm shorty would definitely be too cold for me.

I wish there was a 3 mil long leg short sleeve suit. I like the long legs for protection when I'm stumbling around on shore dives but I love the short sleeves.

Now where are those scissors????

I just bought my 3mm shorty and the 5mm full....so I can't buy a 3mm full right now!!

I think I will take my 3mm shorty and pack my hooded vest in case I need it at the end of the day...

Thanks for all the helpful advice, as usual!

J.

That counter doesn't seem to want to go below 40 days!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom