Which wetsuit to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommed

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be heading to Florida in early February to do some diving in the Key Largo area and up Crystal River/ Rainbow River way. I have two wetsuits, one a 4/3 full suit and the other a 7mm full suit. Would the lighter suit be appropriate for the water temps I'll likely see? Thanks for your opinions.

Tommed

Tommed:
I'll be heading to Florida in early February to do some diving in the Key Largo area and up Crystal River/ Rainbow River way. I have two wetsuits, one a 4/3 full suit and the other a 7mm full suit. Would the lighter suit be appropriate for the water temps I'll likely see? Thanks for your opinions.

Tommed

I was in the water last Friday off Boca Raton. Air temp mid-50s, water temp 68. My 3/2 full suit kept me very comfortable.

Have fun!

It all depends on your "chill" threshold. I wore a 5mm in Key Largo in July! I get cold easily which is typical for a female.

I wore a semi-dry in Rainbow River in November. Keep in mind, Rainbow River is spring-fed....and those springs are a constant 72 degrees.

If you bring the 4/3 bring a hood!

Depends on your ability to withstand the cold. Most locals wear a 5mm fullsuit that time of year. I have also seen Europeans diving with a birthday suit all winter long. A 4/3 with a hood should cover you just fine. Coldest temps should be around 68 degrees.

For the spring-fed river, I would highly recommend a 7 mm full suit, especially if you're looking at considerable bottom time. Definitely a hood.

Enjoy!

Tommed:

Tommed

Unless you are VERY warm natured, for sure the full 7mm. There's a big difference between doing one 30 minute dive and hopping out, drying off, and leaving, and diving repetetive dives. If you are OCD like me (Obsessive Compulsive Diver), you want to get in all you can every day you can. You'll freeze in less, when the temps hover around 70. It doesn't sound that cold, but remember it's 28-29 degrees colder than our bodies, and it wicks warmth away like crazy!

Thanks for all your responses. I'll be taking the 7mm and the hood!

Tommed

7mm good call,
the 72 ish water sucks your heat out,bring boots and hood works great,I hate to wear this much lead on a trip as i cant use steel tanks most times,but the top side temps cool you down fast so a 7mm is just the thing,Trust me just got back,
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom