Which type for environmental seal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sambolina44...sorry for not keeping up with posts. My response was basically to provide information on grade of Christolube used by AquaLung. I appreciate input from Oxyhacker and agree that a grease is not always suitable. However, when an oil is required we recommend a fluorinated oil which is non-flammable, non-toxic, has less migration issues than silicone and provide excellent compatibility with all the components of the regulator. We will discuss with AquaLung as I believe we can match the viscosity of the silicone oil used.

Great! But understand, I'm just doing this for my own regs, so don't spend too much time on it. I mean I'm only going to need about 4 oz. every two years, so if it doesn't work out ROI-wise, I totally understand if you come back and say it just isn't worth your time. Also, it looks like this method of sealing a regulator is already obsolescent and rapidly becoming obsolete, so besides me there may not be much of a market out there. But you're probably in a much better position than me to judge all this, so obviously I leave it up to you.

And as far as fluorinated oil, I'm no chemist, and I sure as heck can't do a reasonable analysis and comparison of the environmental impact of fluorinated oil vs. silicone oil, but as soon as I read the word "fluorinated" all these alarms went off. Reminds me of the time the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers took their VW minibus to the "Organic Mechanic." Hmmm, do you smell bananas? I guess he replaced all their petroleum-based lubricants with plant-based ones. Worked great until they got stuck in that traffic jam.

At any rate, I appreciate the help you've given me so far, and I've already ordered a 2 oz. syringe of Christolube MCG 111 from Scuba Tools.

It is a pleasure to help if I can plus I get to learn for next time I am in the Caribbean.

Good story about the organic mechanic. Chemicstry on balance is OK and we need engineered materials. Can't do it all with wood and stone.

ROI not an issue. Just wish I could have been more help so thanks to all others who pitched in.

Sambolino44...thanks for your business.

I was going to move it, now maybe not.

Sambolino - pm me if you still want it moved to the reg forum.

I think Terri at Divers Den in Baltimore has a few supreme upgrade kits with the bottle of oil in them. I can ask her (Cdreamer here on the board) if she wants to sell them or keep them for warranty customers.

Since DD is not a current AL dealer, access to a suitable substitute would also be nice so I am interested in what the Christolube folks come up with. I am not a fan of silicone due to the cross contamination on the bench and tools that occurs that is then problematic when working with O2 clean regs. Silicone and O2 clean do not go together.

Back
Top Bottom