Which type for environmental seal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The service manual for my Aqua Lung SEA 1st stage regulator just recommends "Christo-Lube"; it doesn't say which kind. I'd like to know which kind is recommended for filling the space between the two diaphragms on the environmentally sealed version. And if a different kind is recommended for the O-rings, which one is that?
Thanks.

Hi Sambolino44,

Thanks for your question. For Aqua Lung SEA 1st stage regulator for filling the space between the two diaphragms on the environmentally sealed version and for the O-rings we recommend the same grade, CHRISTO-LUBE MCG 111. While we have other grades available for regulators, MCG-111 is highly recommended.

Sincere regards,

Michael Quallo
Lubrication Technology

Thanks, I don't suppose you could recommend a retailer?

I am not a rep from Christolube, but being a regulator technician I know that the good folks at Scuba Tools (Scuba Tools) provide Christolube either in a 2 oz tube or syringe. If I remember correctly they sell either one for 27 bucks, which is the cheapest I was able to find on the net. I have bought my personal tools from them and they have taken good care of me with quick shipping. Hope this helps.

You aren't recommending filling the space between the two diaphragms with MGC-111 on the drysealed SEAs, are you?

The earlier "wet" environmentally sealed SEAs used a silicone fluid that was quite liquid, rather than a grease like you are recommending. The big problem with substituting grease is that it is very important to get all the air bubbles out, and that is almost impossible with grease. Has AL approved this substitution?

For Aqua Lung SEA 1st stage regulator for filling the space between the two diaphragms on the environmentally sealed version and for the O-rings we recommend the same grade, CHRISTO-LUBE MCG 111. While we have other grades available for regulators, MCG-111 is highly recommended.

Sincere regards,

Michael Quallo
Lubrication Technology

Last edited:
Just doublechecked with Aqualung, and they have not changed their recommendations. Only silicone fluid should be used in the AL 1sts with the wet environmental kit (NO grease or fluid at all should be used, of course, with the later, dry, kits).

Using a grease such as MGC-111 could seriously degrade the stage's performance. quite possibly significanlty reducing air delivery at depth, which could be extremely hazardous to the diver.

Michael is probably confusing the fluid-filled sealed diaphragm 1sts like the SEA with the grease-packed BP regs like the earlier Scubapros.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I have a wet environmental kit, and a manual for a dry, so I'm trying not only to find the correct manual, but also to find out what kind of silicone fluid to use, and where to get it. I've not tried contacting AL directly because I'm not employed by a shop and have not been to any of their training, so I didn't think it would do any good to try to get the information from them.

I have heard that you have to let the fluid settle for a while to let the bubbles out, so it would seem to follow that it would have to be more fluid than what you would call grease. It would make sense that there could be no compressible space between the two diaphragms for it to work properly.

So, what's the correct fluid for the older, wet SEA 1st stages, and where can I get some?

OK, I don't know how to do that, maybe a moderator can move the forum?

I guess this is telling me that whatever this stuff is, it isn't made by Christolube.

Exactly, LT doesn't make what you need.

I would just start from scratch and post new query on the regulator forum, and leave this one here, since some of the information does relate to Christolube.

Back
Top Bottom