Which Turks and Caicos Liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're absolutely right, Mike. 65' is tiny for 12 and barley manageable for six people.
Just wondering if you have spent much time on a sail boat?

A 65 foot sail boat is a pretty good sized boat, but it's not very big at all once you stick 12 guests on board plus crew. I've chartered 50 ft sail boats in the BVI with just us and another couple and after a week, 2 couples on a 50 foot sail boat is about right, a 3rd couple would have been manageable but I'm glad not to have them. I'm boggled to imagine 12 guests plus crew, plus all the dive and camera gear. Don't get me wrong, I think as long as you know what you're getting into, and go in with eyes wide open it should be a great time, but that's a lot of people on a sail boat and an adjustment for most in regard to the experience of such cramped quarters.

Hello Mike sir,

Yes, I've been on a sail boat and you are right about the size of the boat with 12 people being a wee bit small. While I have researched the many different liveaboards to take given my budget that I was looking to spend on, I have to say, I have read nothing but great reviews about "Lost Island Voyages" in the Bahama's, therefore; I believe it will be worth the money. I'm sure the experience will not be shoulder-to-shoulder type space, but then again, it may not be a Cruise Ship type space either - it is what it is ( in a good way ). I mean think about it, if you are a Captain / owner of a liveaboard to a boat, you would want it to be as relaxing and accomadating as possible given your ability (through price, assets, etc.), right? So, I have to think that the owner took this into consideration that his boat - which is to be used as a liveaboard - would not exceed limitations or even come too close to the max without complete comfort and room. If he / she were to exceed those limits or even test those limits in the slightest to where paying customers were uncomfortable, I'm sure passangers would be un-happy and then his / her reputation would not be that great nor would people be looking to book again or even a first time if they ( he / she ) would always be uncomfortable on a liveaboard where the maximum limits are tested on the boat for the sake of money.

Know what I mean boss?

Just wondering if you have spent much time on a sail boat?

A 65 foot sail boat is a pretty good sized boat, but it's not very big at all once you stick 12 guests on board plus crew. I've chartered 50 ft sail boats in the BVI with just us and another couple and after a week, 2 couples on a 50 foot sail boat is about right, a 3rd couple would have been manageable but I'm glad not to have them. I'm boggled to imagine 12 guests plus crew, plus all the dive and camera gear. Don't get me wrong, I think as long as you know what you're getting into, and go in with eyes wide open it should be a great time, but that's a lot of people on a sail boat and an adjustment for most in regard to the experience of such cramped quarters.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty logical but there are various holes and assumptions in there. A lot of these boats aren't purpose built, but what they had access to, so the fact that they are using the boat doesn't prove its worth.People don't always have past experience to know whether it could be better. In an extreme example, people who always eat at McDonalds aren't the best judges of gourmet food though they could be.

It's not about not going here but just meeting your expectations and worth compared to other opportunities. You are armed with the facts.

We (Juliet) also do some Turks and Caicos charters in the winter time - will be there from December 8 through the end of February this year. I won't go into crazy detail as this isn't the marketplace and I don't want to seem like I'm advertising here but I can put you in touch with folks who have been on board with us before to give you an un-biased opinion of the charter and the food if you'd like.

I've been on four trips with Explorer boats now, including Turks and Caicos, and have been pleased with every one. I think the next one I want to do is the transit from Turks and Caicos to the Southern Bahamas, which they do a few times a year.

Yeah, probably not a good idea. You know, I've heard a lot of things about Turks and Caicos, but, are the liveaboards there really that good or are they just ok? You know, is it worth the money? Would it be wise to do a liveaboard or get a resort and do just a few dives?

Trust me the only way to dive Turks & Caicos is by Liveaboard!!!
5 dives aday you need to consider Nitrox a 32%mix is just right!!! COME ON GUYS we arnt getting any younger !!! its better for you!!! get the most out of your 2.5k holiday underwater not on the sun deck!!!!!!!!! both boats are great the Aggressor is slightly more expensive (without the deals !!! but there are lots of them to get discounts!!) but i feel it is well worth it oh and yes they are at least 4 star meals !!! stunning crew and GREAT captain!

I've been on Explore Venture live aboards in St Maartin, Turks and Caicos, and Bahamas. I loves diving with them, that's why I went 3 times. Less expensive then the Aggressor. Food was good, boat was nice. Casual, met a lot of nice people. I'd recommend them. Going on a live aboard in Dec. with Belize Sun Dance. Wished Explorer Ventures offered a Belize trip because I would of booked with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom