Which topic from your OW class...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my vote would be more of buoyancy control and less of how much time my instructor has been diving.....however he was an excellent instructor and am glad he drilled everything he did into my head.

ianw2:
Why do I feel a "Pull my finger!" coming on?:rofl3:

But, seriously, NWGratefulDiver, I would love to get links to some of your stuff on SAC calcs, determinations and other gas management stratetgies.

I've learned a hell of a lot from your posts since I plugged in here. And I appreciate it very much!:)
Just PM me your e-mail address ... it's a Word file that's about 15 pages long. I haven't put it on a Web page, because I'm always trying to improve it ... but I've sent it out to well over a couple hundred ScubaBoarders so far. Locally, I give gas management seminars free of charge at local dive shops when they ask me to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think I was lucky to have an excellent old school instructor for my OW class (Al from the Black Durgon Inn in Bonaire). The only students were my wife and me. The course started from the day we landed until the day we took off! That was 6 days I think, plus we had done all the theorical study at home before with book and DVD. And even so, our instructor thought it was a bit too short :) From day 1 he put a great emphasis in caring for the underwater environment, and that translated into very good buyancy, trim and finning technique teaching.

However, what we did not cover is air management and SAC. But thinking about it, I don't recall it being in the book either. To be honest though, I don't consider it essential to diving, and including it in the OW course might be a bit too much, especially when there are so many other things to worry about, and a regular air consumption is not quite established yet. Maybe a better way would be to mention it in the OW course, saying something like once you start diving by yourself and get comfortable, you will need to study it, and provide the papers for susbsequent self study.

cummings66:
I'd say gas planning could have been covered better.
Same here , it wasnt really covered till i crossed to Naui and took Master Diver.

mels_2:
my vote would be more of buoyancy control and less of how much time my instructor has been diving.....however he was an excellent instructor and am glad he drilled everything he did into my head.

I wish my class had spent more time on bouyancy control. I found it totally different from a fresh water pool to diving in saltwater.
It took me about 15 dives to get somewhat better in bouyancy control, and I still have a lot to learn.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom