Which tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afraser31

Reaction score
My question is which tank would be prefer to use for my upcoming dive trip to Channel Islands? The aluminum or the steel? Right now I have a 80 or 100 cu aluminum tank. Will that be O.k. or not because of the buoyancy effect. Any good tip what I can due? Thanks.
afraser31

I'd first say to dive whatever you're used to for a trip to avoid any problems.

Second, I'd have to ask if you are a dry suit diver or wet suit diver?

Third, I'd have to ask what are your future ambitions -- rec or tech?

Mike

Yeah-
I am using a 7mm ScubaPro S-tex wetsuit and right now, I'm just a recreational diver. However, I am pending on going to get two more certifications in Advanced level and rescue diver in the near future. I'm very much comfortable with the tank I have so I'll take your advice. Thanks!
afraser31

For a wet suit, you might get away with a single steel tank, but I would just get aluminums so you could double them up in the future. Double steels and a wet suit can be a bad combo if your BC fails underwater. You wouldn't need a weight belt and therefore there isn't any ditchable weight. If you're unable to swim the tanks up, you're screwed. With a dry suit, it doesn't matter much because the suit will get you up.
The other consideration is some people don't like steel tanks for boat diving as they weigh so much more.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom