Which tank valves do you like for sidemount, and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With the "old stock" Thermo gone and new ones factory-marred, I am exploring the alternatives... do you have any personal favorites, or are they all the same to you? What do you like or dislike in a tank valve for sidemount?

The modular valves hold my bungee a little better than the regular valves.

On most dives the regular valves work fine as well, I have had only a few instances where my bungee slipped off the valve.
Usually when back rolling off a boat.

No preference in brand.

The modular valves hold my bungee a little better than the regular valves. On most dives the regular valves work fine as well, I have had only a few instances where my bungee slipped off the valve. Usually when back rolling off a boat. No preference in brand.

Thanks. And how about short vs. long neck?

Agree on the modular valves. I've never had a bungee slip off but things seem much more secure with the larger post.

It depends on how you run your bungees. I use loop bungees and dive with my tank valve knob horizontal and poiting out. I just loop the bungee over the valve handle so for me it doesn't matter whether the valves are modular or the regular L/ R standard valves. So without knowing your setup it coul or could not make a difference.

I like the modular valve too, most of my SM cylinders were previously connected by a manifold. I did purchase some new valves for a set of AL80's I set up last year from DGX. However, I prefer valves that don't open as easy as these...you barely turn the knob and gas flows.

I had modular valves on my LP 85's and didn't like em. I also use loop bungees and just loop the handle. I used the modular valves for two dives. Still have em here with a service kit. I'll sell both with the kit for the first 60 bucks plus shipping that comes along.

It depends on how you run your bungees. I use loop bungees and dive with my tank valve knob horizontal and poiting out. I just loop the bungee over the valve handle so for me it doesn't matter whether the valves are modular or the regular L/ R standard valves. So without knowing your setup it coul or could not make a difference.

I do the same, but the bungee slipped on me a few times already, so I am willing to consider other configurations.

I had modular valves on my LP 85's and didn't like em. I also use loop bungees and just loop the handle.

What did you not like about modular valves?

If your looping the handle, do you have the 1st stages in and the handles pointing in?
What brand valves?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom