Which tank should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smb1014

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been diving for a few years now and I am interested in diving in the northeast now. Most of my diving has been in warm waters where AL80s are the norm. I want to get a tank(s) but I am hearing a million different things on what size and make from my LDS(s). I want to eventually dive the wrecks off the coast of NY/NJ. I am a male 6 feet tall and I am approximately 240 lbs. I tend to like a little more air than less due to higher consumption rates. I have been looking online at the E7 120s but they seem a little to long. Has anyone tried the E8-119s?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Where is a good place to get a deal on tanks?

smb1014:
. . . Has anyone tried the E8-119s?

E8-119 is an excellent tank. Very common. Especially for diving dry or with thick wetsuit.

Typically, tanks should be bought locally, so you don't get killed on the shipping cost.

theskull

In my humble opinion, the E8-119 is a fantastic tank.
Especially for the shorter stature divers. I'm 5'7" and it's a perfect combination of volume, size (24") and trim/buoyancy characteristics.

the K

I have double E-7 120s, and I am only 5'8". People tend to have strong opinions regarding these tanks as they tend to orient you more head down than other tanks. I have no problem with this as I have re-positioned my weight to compensate.

I can actually feel that it takes less effort to swim these through the water since they are a 7.25 inch tank compared to 8 inches of most of the low pressure, high volume tanks. They are also lighter, which matters to me when I am the one that has to climb out of the water with them onto the boat.

The only thing I have had to do, due to the length of the tanks when seated on a boat bent seat, is to purchase a ten dollar boat cushion to sit on, elevating me about two inces or so. Not a hassle for me, and it keeps my dry suit from needing one of those rediculous butt pads to prevent wear. Since you are a much taller guy, you probably won't need the cushion.

smb1014:
I have been diving for a few years now and I am interested in diving in the northeast now. Most of my diving has been in warm waters where AL80s are the norm. I want to get a tank(s) but I am hearing a million different things on what size and make from my LDS(s). I want to eventually dive the wrecks off the coast of NY/NJ. I am a male 6 feet tall and I am approximately 240 lbs. I tend to like a little more air than less due to higher consumption rates. I have been looking online at the E7 120s but they seem a little to long. Has anyone tried the E8-119s?

buy steel LP cylinders such as OMS.

The weight will help reduce from lead around your waist and the LP will help with PP Gas blending

Back
Top Bottom