which tank and where to get cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_volker

Reaction score
hi guys,

i just arrived from europe and now i've got some questions about tanks.

i am looking for an high pressure steeltank with din valve, where i can use my own equipment with 2 seperated fist stages. i've got apeks regulators and their first stage can handle a pressure about 4350 psi (300bar).

now some problems and questions occured:
looking in different i could see several tanks with an huge variety of maximum pressure. so i found low pressure tanks, high pressure tanks, tanks with 3000 psi max, 3300 psi max, then i could see fanks with 3000psi but their max pressure should only be 2400psi... . this seems to me beeing chinese. who can give me a good explanations about this?
cheap places to buy tanks. who knows good shops? reccomandations, please.
valves, i've had scubapro valves, which valves are the good ones in the U.S?

tanksize shlould be 80cu ft or 100 cu ft. i am used to dive with a steeltank from faber, size 12l with 232bar (3365 psi). if i am right, 80 cu ft should be aprox. equal to this size, isn't it?

Not sure about size equivalents, but the PST E7-100 is a great tank. It has a service pressure of 3442 psi (232 bar), and has one of the best volume/weight ratios around. It's about a pound negative when empty.

Steel tanks are pricey in this country, though. Expect to pay $350 each.

pants!:
Not sure about size equivalents, but the PST E7-100 is a great tank. It has a service pressure of 3442 psi (232 bar), and has one of the best volume/weight ratios around. It's about a pound negative when empty.

Steel tanks are pricey in this country, though. Expect to pay $350 each.

If you are patient you can get some good deals on ebay... just don't get into a bidding war. Here's 2 tanks that are in FL

PST 104 steel tank # 1

PST 104 Steel tank # 2

That's a big tank to lug around Florida all the time..

I attached a little spreadsheet showing the volume at pressure, pressure, weight, water capacity, volume per unit weight, buoyancy, etc for some of the more common tanks (Al 80 and 100, E7-80 and 100, E8-119 and 130, LP 104 and 95).

You will see that the E7-100 has the highest volume/weight ratio, allows you to remove 5.7 lbs of lead from the belt, and lets you get into the water weighing 3 lbs less total vs an Al 80 even though you're carrying almost 30% more gas.

An LP104 by comparison has a much lower weight/volume ratio. You will have the same amount of gas as a guy in an E7-100 but have almost 13 more pounds to carry into the water.

Nothing cheap about steel tanks here in the states.

Nothing easy about getting them in the shop either. We have quite the waiting list.

scuba_volker:
tanksize shlould be 80cu ft or 100 cu ft. i am used to dive with a steeltank from faber, size 12l with 232bar (3365 psi). if i am right, 80 cu ft should be aprox. equal to this size, isn't it?
An AL80 is 11litre filled to ~200bar

First, I'd check with whoever will fill your tanks what is the max pressure they'll be able to give you, once cold - and try to check this - you may have problems filling over 3000 or 3300.
I got some Norris tanks, 80cf, pretty small (21"), and they are very nice to dive - a 80cf will actually hold a touch less air than a 12L at 200b.

SCUBA_Volker, I think I met you last night at the club meeting. There are many options for tanks. The guys at the shop can help you. You can send me a private message and we can talk more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom