Which Surface Marker Buoy is right for Me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use this one. Deploy when needed. Pocket when not, no towing required!

PICT0052.jpg

Stuart, Stuart, Stuart.

Just when I was becoming impressed with your analytical abilities, you make a rookie assumption like that. Johnny (like most of us in the technical diving community) calculate orders of magnitude in base e. The Carter bags are approximately 2.718 times better than the DAN SMB.

LOL Doh! My bad! Thanks for setting me straight. :D

LOL Doh! My bad! Thanks for setting me straight. :D

Seriously, they are very well made SMBs. If you need one, worth a look.

Probably not necessary to replace a functional SMB if you already have one, but what I like is (1) MUCH tougher materials than any other bag that I have seen, (2) Bottom valve lets you inflate with a reg but won't spill on the way up, and (3) stiffener sewn into the open bottom keeps the mouth open, which facilitates this method of filling, better than a typical soft bag.

Lots of options on their website, SMBs, lift bags, etc...

M

Thank you again to everyone for their responses. I think you all have convinced me to get a 6' oral inflate with a vent, now just to find one that I can buy without cringing at the price. Not that it will make any difference how much it costs if it actually is needed.

I use 6ft High Vis YELLOW SMB because it has all the required features and the price is right... I really don't see the need to spend that amount of money on an smb, I mean unless it launches itself how much better can it be (unless it just lasts longer) but mines seems to be doing well 2 years and counting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you again to everyone for their responses. I think you all have convinced me to get a 6' oral inflate with a vent, now just to find one that I can buy without cringing at the price. Not that it will make any difference how much it costs if it actually is needed.
Interesting. I like my open bottom smb that I can inflate off of my reg exhaust or with a secondary air source, and is quick to deploy while drift diving. I keep the smb clipped to my BCD so that it is readily accessible if I need it. Regardless of your smb choice, I do highly recommend a good reel and not a finger reel. As pretty much everyone here has stated, you'll want to keep tension on your smb to keep it upright and visible, and a good reel will give you a handle to hang on to while doing a slightly negative safety stop. I've had a finger reel ripped out of my hand after I deployed when I surfaced to bumpy surface conditions so I don't really recommend that approach. You will definitely want to practice deployment at depth as well as at 15-18 feet. I almost always deploy when near the bottom and just reel myself up to safety stop depth, and while it isn't intended to accomplish maintaining a slow ascent, it effectively does that.

I do highly recommend a good reel and not a finger reel.

On that note, I received my new Manta CR-2 reel today. Thus, I have not actually used it yet. But, I played with it a bit and I really like the soft handle that will fit any size hand and keep the reel (seemingly) firmly attached to your hand, even if you totally open your fingers. It has 250' of line and seems like a very nice size for using to deploy an SMB from any recreational depth - which is the exact and specific purpose I bought it for. It seems like it will be very easy to lay line with, as well, and keep control of the reel/tension on the line, and also easy to have strapped onto one hand and easily reel in line with the other. It came with a brass double ender, but did not come with a line stop.

CR2 Reel - Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork

$108 on LP!

On that note, I received my new Manta CR-2 reel today. Thus, I have not actually used it yet. But, I played with it a bit and I really like the soft handle that will fit any size hand and keep the reel (seemingly) firmly attached to your hand, even if you totally open your fingers. It has 250' of line and seems like a very nice size for using to deploy an SMB from any recreational depth - which is the exact and specific purpose I bought it for. It seems like it will be very easy to lay line with, as well, and keep control of the reel/tension on the line, and also easy to have strapped onto one hand and easily reel in line with the other. It came with a brass double ender, but did not come with a line stop.

CR2 Reel - Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork

$108 on LP!
I like that reel. I need to buy a new reel for my son, that one is now in the mix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom