Which Surface Marker Buoy is right for Me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have an "open" ended one but they have the one way valve, i can blow it up on land and it will remain inflated... doesn't leak at the surface... will lie down though if not enough tension, but i suppose that's the physics of it anyways, inflation method doesnt change that

most i've seen come with all 3 options, unless it's not made to be deployed at depth... the conditions in which you dive/expect to dive in will determine size... but as decompression mentioned... practice... ALOT... when i first got mine i deployed an smb on every dive... just for practice at different depths, using different methods too until i found the one that worked best for me (exhale into the bottom)...

Did you overlook tbone's post (#4)?

No. Did you see something in his post that talks about the different methods of inflation? I didn't even see mention of the fact that the DSS SMB is oral inflate only.

---------- Post added October 5th, 2015 at 05:44 PM ----------

most i've seen come with all 3 options

The DSS one is oral inflate only.

Halcyon has 7 different SMB models and only one has an open bottom to allow inflation from a 2nd stage regulator.

Just examples off the top of my head.

I didn't mention it because I see no reason for any method but oral inflation, but that's just crotchety old me. No reason for the flaps for surface markers because you won't be inflating them from depth because they're so damn big

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=85
little 1m dsmb, useful for signalling the boat while you're down. Can inflate it with half a breath because of expansion when it gets to the surface

pick the 2m safety sausage of your choice. The DAN one is pretty nice. If you have to have one, choose the big ass one for signalling that you're lost

I didn't mention it because I see no reason for any method but oral inflation, but that's just crotchety old me. No reason for the flaps for surface markers because you won't be inflating them from depth because they're so damn big

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=85
little 1m dsmb, useful for signalling the boat while you're down. Can inflate it with half a breath because of expansion when it gets to the surface

pick the 2m safety sausage of your choice. The DAN one is pretty nice. If you have to have one, choose the big ass one for signalling that you're lost

don't make the distinction that the 2m ones are for when you are lost... i use the 2m one where i dive just so the boat can know where we are... it will be difficult for them to see a 1m smb if they aren't looking for it in a specific spot

No. Did you see something in his post that talks about the different methods of inflation? I didn't even see mention of the fact that the DSS SMB is oral inflate only.

Thank you for filling in additional information that the OP may not have been aware of.

I had no idea purchasing an SMB could be such an involved decision. I say just buy the DAN one and be done with it. It's a good all-purpose SMB and big enough to readily be seen. It can be inflated in all three ways.

don't make the distinction that the 2m ones are for when you are lost... i use the 2m one where i dive just so the boat can know where we are... it will be difficult for them to see a 1m smb if they aren't looking for it in a specific spot

that's why I carry both. the 1m only goes up when I get to the anchor line, hang line, or some other predetermined spot. the 2m only goes up when I need someone to come find me.... I have the DAN one, I don't like that you can inflate it with exhaust bubbles, but that's my personal opinion and the radar trap is what sold me on it

I got a 6 footer with oral inflate, bottom inflate and an over pressure relief valve. I keep it in my BC pocket, can hardly notice it's there. I noticed some don't have relief valves. I made sure to get one with a relief valve. Around here drift diving is very popular!

I had no idea purchasing an SMB could be such an involved decision. I say just buy the DAN one and be done with it. It's a good all-purpose SMB and big enough to readily be seen. It can be inflated in all three ways.

After much research on them, the DAN one is the one I bought.

I have the DAN one, ... the radar trap is what sold me on it

Me, too.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet: There are SMBs that have an opening at the bottom that allows you to fill it with air from your 2nd stage regulator (e.g. I fill mine by doing a normal exhale and letting the bubbles from my reg exhaust go into the bottom of my SMB to fill it.

Now this all depends on the depth your're launching your DSMB from. If you're deep then this can be okay, however in my experience the only people I've witness using this method are DM's, and they generally launch from 10m or less, meaning that you get an DSMB at the surface that has little air in.

Although I carry 3 DSMB's my weapon of choice is my AP 6 footer that's primary filled via a crack bottle which is attached (Bottle refilled from your full tank at the surface). Twist open the valve and off she flys and arrives at the surface fully inflated and stays that way until you dump the air after use.

Two examples where is proved its worth:

On a dive in Thailand at the start of the Safety stop we got the Hull sign (lots of dive boats on that site had arrived after we dropped in) We had to head down - despite 2 DM's having sent up their DSMB (inflated via their 2nd stage exhaust). This happened a second time .. and a third - at which time I unleashed my AP DSMB which must have broken the surface like a sub launched missile - The boats saw that!

Second - in the Philippines - our group caught a drift current (my buddy and I thought it was fab, the other pair not so much) DM shot his DSMB as did I. Had 4 foot swells on the surface, boat a distance away - I could hold mine by the bottom above my head and wave it as it's a still tube - the boat saw it (mean while the DM has a small somewhat soft DSMB at the surface)

Of course if you're not experienced in launching DSMB's them if you got snagged as it went, that might be bad.

It can also be inflated via 2nd stage - I presume but stand to be corrected that 2nd stage filling via the purge in cold waters might get you a free flow?) I had to do this last weekend. On launching mine it was apparent I hadn't screwed the bottle all the way in, so was surrounded by lots of bubbles, a DSMB going nowhere and a buddy laughing her head off. Agine the internal valves work well and on the surface it was fully inflated and rigid

For the record my other two DSMBs are a conventional Oral/LPI/2nd stage one - but Yellow, and a monster 10 footer you inflate at the surface, as I predominately dive in remote blue water locations, where if I'm swept off the site I want the boat to see me. This along with the AP can be used as a surface float for 2 divers.

Back
Top Bottom