Which sites in Komodo Good for Beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone

A bunch of beginner/vacation divers looking to do a dive in Komodo/Rinca/Flores.

Recent news of the missing diver has us a little concerned. Coupled with news that Komodo seems like a more advanced dive area.

Any thoughts? And given the wide geography of the area, wondering if some sites are more appropriate for beginners?

Komodo is more advanced... that being said, many beginners dive there. If you go then make sure you go with a very good operation. All sites are easy...until they are not. If a tide is slack there is no current... but currents change and sometimes they change quickly. If the whole group is beginner then hopefully you can find an operation that will take care of you. In the past I have seen a lot of the day boat operations just drop their divers into currents they could not handle. I watched a guy in board shorts shoot right off of Batu Bolong once. He never even made it to depth because the current had changed and the day boat dropped the divers in the wrong spot. You have to have an op that checks currents and doesn't just dive a site because they have a schedule to keep to get you back to the resort by a certain time. Most LOBs have the luxury of scheduling dives when currents are right for their divers.

This is a great site to read to understand Indonesia's currents: Indonesian Throughflow | Where the oceans meet

sites in the center of the park are lower current and more beginner friendly

sebayor, siaba besar, tatawa, makassar, mawan, wainilu etc

manta point is an easy drift too

The problem is that you're going to end up having to go wherever the dive op decides to go on any given day. If you're at the resort or on the lob with a bunch of super experienced divers and your group is the minority, you can end up stuck on sites that are well beyond your capability. The only way around this is to effectively make sure the dive op provides you with your own boat and allows you to separate from the more experienced divers each day. I've seen the consequences of this on a few trips where "majority rules" and if the majority are experienced, the whole trip can suck for those who aren't who then spend the entire time complaining and go home unhappy. Go with a resort or lob who can confirm that they can provide you with this kind of service.

There are some beautiful bays that can you can easily dive (i.e. Siaba Besar, Batu Monco, Banana Reef).

There are also dive sites large enough where you can drop on the leeside of the current (i.e. Manta Alley, Crystal Rock).

Some drift dives can be managed without too much difficulty (i.e. Tetawa Besar, Karang Makassar).

If you are on an LOB, Sangeang has wonderful dive sites with very little current and Gili Batanta's sumberged volcanic rim offers a protective bay and nice gentle sloping reefs.

Most improtantly go with a reputable dive operator ( :happywave:- Adelaar has been operating in Komodo for 20 years). Try to find one that has small groups and will accomodate your skill level (Adelaar is 4:1). Carry your SMB, mirror and dive alert or get something like a Nautilus Lifeline (Adelaar loans GPS lifeline's, guests are required to wear). Always listen to briefings and learn the guides hand signals. Stay behind and shallower than the guide. Learn a little about what to look for underwater so you'll have an idea of what the current is doing (i.e. marine life behavior in current ). Watch more experienced divers to learn techniques (i.e. form, bouyancy skills :clearmask:).

Have an amazing dive holiday!

DON'T believe any of this! Komodo is not for beginners. Depending on an operator is asking for trouble.

There is Plenty of good diving available in the region without going to Komodo. You'll enjoy it more once you have the necessary skills (like, for example, doing a blue water ascent in current or doing a negative entry).

- Bill

Having just returned from Komodo and diving many of the signature sites my suggestion is to go elsewhere until you have more experience. Yes you may be able to dive some of the sites if things go well but a current shift will happen. Then you are going to be peeing in your wet suit.

fwiw we were on Crystal Rock the day the woman went missing. Not for beginners in the least bit.

Learn buoyancy by watching other divers?!@? That's a new one on me.

- Bill
I think you might need to find new people to dive with! o_O On my first open water dive trip there was a solo female diver who was an awesome diver.... so still and her buoyancy was spot on. I did everything I could to emulate her. I learned so much just by watching her. I also watched my instructors!

I didn't see anyone in this thread say it was for beginners.... but speaking from experience (with quite a bit in Komodo) that doesn't seem to stop people from going. I have seen just as many "experienced" people act like muppets and get into trouble under the water so I think it depends more on the diver than the level of experience.

I will not add much more regarding dive conditions at Komodo Islands. Although I agree with Scared Silly, I have seen a few inexperienced divers successfully dive and have fun in current-rich Komodo dive sites. Mostly, this is due to an experienced cruise director and DM that understands the relations between the lunar cycle, tides, and currents. Relatively inexperienced divers with good spatial awareness and buoyancy control will have a good experience, but only with experienced DMs that know the dive sites.

From my perspective, a group of divers with mixed experience at Komodo (or Raja Ampat) is not optimal - experienced divers might want strong currents that bring out schooling fish and larger pelagics, but inexperienced divers might seek diving during slack tide. In order to accommodate divers with varied abilities, many LoB's set the bar low regarding currents.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom