Which side should the Regulator be on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Gary miyakawa

Gary miyakawa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are swapping our regulators from Yoke to DIN (since we are diving with HP Steel). While converting them over, I was noticing that if I rotate the take 180 degrees (with Air Valve on the right hand side), the actual 1st stage is now in the "back" of the tank (and farther from my head).. This seems like a better way (to keep from getting headaches).

I've looked around and can't find a "reason" from the valve to be on the left other than, that's just how it's done...

Is there any "technical/safety" reason for not doing this ?

Thanks for the comments (and I'm sure, opinions).. :) :)

Gary M

Please don't confuse facts and opinions. Where did I express an opinion?
You stated that ALL hoses will be longer. This is simply NOT true. We have already tested the length with the original hoses (that came with the Apek and Mikron Regs) and they fit just fine. So I would treat that as an opinion. I've already agreed the snag issue could be but for OUR diving situation, it's not an issue.

I'm sure the world would come unglued if you knew about me taking my regulator out of my mouth at 100' to sip water because I have sever dry mouth from throat cancer. I've been doing that for well over 100 dives. I'm doing what I need to do to be able to enjoy diving after throat cancer.

I always enjoy posters who ask for comments and advice and then ignore it.
I don't mind if they ignore it, but can't understand why they dispute it. Definitely ask for clarification if you need to but just accept what people say without comment.

... I'm sure the world would come unglued if you knew about me taking my regulator out of my mouth at 100' to sip water because I have sever dry mouth from throat cancer. I've been doing that for well over 100 dives. I'm doing what I need to do to be able to enjoy diving after throat cancer.
Hmmm. Probably safer/healthier if you sipped potable water or sports drink that you took below with you. FWIW.

rx7diver

To reconfigure yourself to a non-standard configuration, you should really have a killer need. Bumping your head doesn’t sound like a compelling reason. you probably have your tank seated too high in thecam-band. I have loaned my 120 to 5’3” friend. It wasn’t a problem for her….

The snag issue is real. If you ever were tangled in own float line or a fishing line, you are extending the first stage out from the back of your body by another 3-4”. Trolling for stuff to pick up.

I you are doing it and happy… why are you asking?

I bumped my head a couple of times at the start and then decided I should stop bumping my head

The grass is green the sky is blue diving is not for everybody especially you and reassignment won't fix it

Hmmm. Probably safer/healthier if you sipped potable water or sports drink that you took below with you. FWIW.

rx7diver
Thank you for the suggestion but I have built up a modified CamelPack that hangs off the tank. You must add some tubing inside of the bladder for it to work when submerged since it's based on gravity to get the liquid (fresh water) to the inlet. When diving, I unlock the bite valve, remove the reg, suck up a little liquid (only takes an sip), swish and I'm good (after putting the reg back into my mouth). Generally speaking, I only go thru about 8 oz of water in a 3 hr dive. (we are shallow diving so extended down time for us).

Thank you for the suggestion.

Gary M

To reconfigure yourself to a non-standard configuration, you should really have a killer need. Bumping your head doesn’t sound like a compelling reason. you probably have your tank seated too high in thecam-band. I have loaned my 120 to 5’3” friend. It wasn’t a problem for her….

The snag issue is real. If you ever were tangled in own float line or a fishing line, you are extending the first stage out from the back of your body by another 3-4”. Trolling for stuff to pick up.

I you are doing it and happy… why are you asking?
Thank you for the input! I was converting our tanks from Yoke to DIN and noticed I could mount it either way. I observed we could reduce what is right behind our heads if we flipped it but didn't know if there was a "Technical/Safety" reason NOT to. So, I went online and searched for "reason" the 1st stage is mounted the way we always see. I found no discussion so I asked the question.

I have received a "lively" discussion (as expected) and folks don't seem to see the "humor" in the headache comments.

I will certainly take the "tangled" issue to heart.

Thanks again to everyone for the comments and opinions !

You stated that ALL hoses will be longer. This is simply NOT true. We have already tested the length with the original hoses (that came with the Apek and Mikron Regs) and they fit just fine. So I would treat that as an opinion.
That’s not an opinion. That’s a fact. You just extend the distance between your head & the 1st stage regulator by few inches. Try to turn your head to the left while diving. You may ended up with ripping your mouthbit up.

Having the regular between your head (BCD) & the tank valve is a good design safety in protecting it, not only from potential entanglement, but also above water from higher probability of breaking the regulator when bumping or dropping the tank by accident. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Another problem you are going to have is you are messing up with people’s (including your) muscle memory. You are creating a problem than solving it.

Bumping your head against the tank valve is a sign that you strap your BCD cam band too low.

Having the tank too high would also create problems. It change the center gravity of the gear setup. If you need more weight at the top, they have weight pocket for that upper back of the BCD.

At the end of the dive, having the tank up high would push you to the front while bobbing on the surface waiting for skiff to pick you up, just like those backplate with wing BCD, when you overinflate the wing. You can’t just floating in neutral position. You have to constantly finning & pushing your back on the tank to have your face above water.

With the tank in the lower position, I can just inflate my BCD enough to float. The center of gravity of the gear would put me vertically to slightly pulling my chest back, like life jacket.

Back
Top Bottom