which sets are better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jghali

Registered
Reaction score
I know I already made a post but i wanted to make a separate one because i want to get a snorkeling set just for snorkeling and nothing else so here are the three im thinking of getting

U.S. Divers Avalon DX Mask/Gulf Dry Snorkel Adult Combo

Body Glove Professional Snorkeling Combo for Adults - Radiant Mask and Tornado Snorkel

Sports Authority - Outdoors: Swimming / Beach: Snorkeling / SCUBA: Combo Sets: Body Glove Reliance Purge Mask/Snake Snorkel Combo

and if you have another idea at the 30 dollar price point let me know thanks!

jghali,

I don't know if there is a good answer to your question. The thing about a mask for scuba or skin diving is that it needs to fit. If it's a poor fit then you just won't be a happy camper.

Any of those snorkels will serve the purpose. I'd probably avoid the one from the Sports Authority because it looks like it swill have more resistance passing through the water. After slimming along for an hour or 2 it's surprising how out of sorts you jaw can feel. In that regard I like the Body Glove item the most.

The Body glove mask looks like it will provide as good a view as any of the options. My reservations about package shopping for the mask are not about quality. I have had some package masks that were perfectly good items though the lenses do tend to run smaller than a good dive shop product. The thing you need to cross your fingers about is fit.

More about masks can be read here.

The one item you don't want to cut corners on is fins. A promo grade fin is apt to snap after a few hours use. Aeris is discontinuing the Velocity fin at this time (for a next generation model) and there are some good deals to be had if you aren't fussy about color.

Pete

yea the thing about the fins is i wear a size 15 shoe..so i cant be to picky about fins...and do you know of a set of fins that would fit my feet?

Last edited:
yea the thing about the fins is i wear a size 15 shoe..so i cant be to picky about fins...and do you know of a set of fins that would fit my feet?

Those are big feet but you're hardly unique. Are we talking about open heel fins with straps that will be worn with booties? Those will be more versatile. What you choose for a bootie will have a big impact on what fins fit you. Again this is a situation where you need to sit down in a dive shop and let them present some options that will really work. The alternative is mail order roulette.

Pete

i would of thought a closed in fin would be better for the keys...as thats where im heading since i dont need insulation....and i was hoping to spend a maximum of 30 bucks as these are only for snorkeling...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom