• Mares MR22 Abyss

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Scubapro MK25 G250HP

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Poseidon Jetstream/Odin

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, after considering all your responses, the contenders are now changed to:

Apeks ATX50
Mares MR22 Abyss
Aqualung Titan LX Supreme (or Glacia?)
Aqualung Cousteau Glacia
Scubapro Mk16 G250HP

I heard many good things about Poseidon's jetstream/odin performance in cold water, but it seems that there are not many followers of this regulator here, so I didn't include it in the list.
Now what about Aqualung Titan LX Supreme vs Cousteau Glacia? What is the difference between their first and second stages? Cousteau is only $10 more expensive.
I was also impressed with different world records set by Mares MR22 Abyss, and it's only $5 more that Cousteau.
Thanks for you responses.

I would upgrade to the Legend series if you are going to be doing more cold water diving than tropical. The Glacia is a good reg but used to have too much bubble interference due to the exhaust design. Don't think they have changed the design but don't know for sure.

Can't go wrong with Legend series IMO. Apex 50 is also a decent rig. Don't think you will go wrong with either one. Mostly depends on who you are going to have service your equipment. What does you LDS service and sell? Are you buying from them or on-line. From the questions your asking I will assume your buying on line or you would have asked the LDS the questions about 1st and 2nd stages. Just be sure you have someone close to service your gear. Good Luck

5615mike:
I would upgrade to the Legend series if you are going to be doing more cold water diving than tropical. The Glacia is a good reg but used to have too much bubble interference due to the exhaust design. Don't think they have changed the design but don't know for sure.

Can't go wrong with Legend series IMO. Apex 50 is also a decent rig. Don't think you will go wrong with either one. Mostly depends on who you are going to have service your equipment. What does you LDS service and sell? Are you buying from them or on-line. From the questions your asking I will assume your buying on line or you would have asked the LDS the questions about 1st and 2nd stages. Just be sure you have someone close to service your gear. Good Luck
Legend is too expensive for me. Do you prefer Titan LX Supreme over Cousteau Glacia?
I'll buy online, and in my area (Toronto) there are many LDSs which sell Scubapro, Apeks/Aqualung and Mares

I'm a big supporter of the Poseidon Jetstream.

I've been diving one for the past 1.5 years, and it hasn't given me any issues in the coldest of temperatures.

I've had it at 180ft in below freezing temperatures and it only seems to breath easier when put to the test.

Many people are turned off by the price point it carries (approx. $900CDN) but it is well worth it's weight in gold for reliability.

The breathing on it isn't as smooth as an ScubaPro S600/S550, but it improves greatly at depth.

Another, more affordable reg you may want to consider is the Sherwood Blizzard.

My $0.02 worth is go with the MR22 Abyss. Solid as a rock performance and breeze to repair. NASA uses them at the NBL exclusively. One of the critera they had was that the reg had to be able to be cleaned in an industrial dishwasher. (I guess those guys and gals in houston are too lazy to clean their gear.) The Abyss is the only reg that passed the test. As to it's suitablity for cold water diving, the new record depth obtained on scuba (313m) was set using an MR22 Abyss-

http://www.mares.com/NS_NewsView.asp?news=55

Katz:
Legend is too expensive for me. Do you prefer Titan LX Supreme over Cousteau Glacia?
I'll buy online, and in my area (Toronto) there are many LDSs which sell Scubapro, Apeks/Aqualung and Mares

LX Supreme - Where are you buying from? Try Leisure Pro

5615mike:
LX Supreme - Where are you buying from? Try Leisure Pro
Yes, from LP.

DiveMistress2, I noticed a big price drop on LP for Sherwoods. Blizzard goes for $220. Definitely, it's a bargain. But currently I have Sherwood Magnum, and don't like it's performance at depth.

Hey Katz,

The Magnum may breathe differently than the Blizzard. I know that at the surface neither one is particularly good, and under water, it isn't the same as the S600.

When was the last overhaul of your Magnum? Did it ever breathe to your liking?

DiveMistress2:
Hey Katz,

The Magnum may breathe differently than the Blizzard. I know that at the surface neither one is particularly good, and under water, it isn't the same as the S600.

When was the last overhaul of your Magnum? Did it ever breathe to your liking?
Yes, it was like this from the beginning. Used for 30 dives at most. I'm going with it to Maldives dive trip soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom