Which regulator for both very cold & warm waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The late John Bennett used Apeks TX100(FST diaphragm 1st stage) on his 308m dive. Is it good enough for you?

I don't know was he swimming excessively for a 20 minute period? I doubt it. Also how much did he weigh?

You "never had any issues" with your diaphragm reg set, but still think it didn't perform sufficiently?

Hmmm, OK. :confused:

When did I ever say that? I never once said that. Why are people putting words in my mouth? I said it worked fine I never had an issue.

You guys cry like a bunch of girls when someone doesnt want to dive exactly like you lol

Last edited:
No where in there did I say I had a problem with my diaphragm reg

Last edited:
I think @IncreaseMyT is hung up on test results on the ANSTI breathing machines for regulators. Pistons always deliver more air as measured in testing and there is no doubt about that. In my experience, having used both, you really can't tell the difference at recreational depths if blindfolded. I can't speak to technical, deep depths.

You "never had any issues" with your diaphragm reg set, but still think it didn't perform sufficiently?

Hmmm, OK. :confused:

No where in there did I say I had a problem with my diaphragm reg

@Storker is saying you don't have any anecdotal evidence or personal evidence that it would not be sufficient for your needs so you should not have any reason to shy away from a diaphragm reg.

Back to my question...what does it mean to overbreathe a diaphragm reg? Does it actually happen? Again, it sounds like someone trying to push someone towards buying a piston reg but I've not heard of this "overbreathing a diaphragm reg" thing before. Anyone have any info? Thanks.

The OP is asking for recommendations for both very cold, cold and warm water. IncreaseMyT do you have any experience diving piston regs in sub 34 degree F water?

Again, it sounds like someone trying to push someone towards buying a piston reg but I've not heard of this "overbreathing a diaphragm reg" thing before. Anyone have any info? Thanks.

I think so too. Someone get pushed and tried to justify. I have heard this so many times. On the opposite side, dive shop that pushes diaphragm reg will usually advertise the inherent design shortcoming as "over balanced" feature that will reduce breathing efforts at depth. Lot of BS.

And over breathing a diaphram reg?? One sanity check is this. Take off the 2nd stage completely, turn on the tank to max and time how long it takes to deplete a tank. Then try to breath through your tank in the same time. If you can beat the former, then we can re-visit over breathing a diaphram 1st stage.

No one was trying to push to sell me anything. My shop is a authorized Zeagle and Atomic dealer. They could care less in terms of money, I have spent enough money there to where the difference between the F8 and a B2 is pittance. They are virtually the same price. They are virtually the same reg besides mechanics too as Zeagle is now using Atomic's seat saving design.

I live in Naples, people around here have more money than they know what to do with, my shop doesn't care about my 1 regulator sale.

I was merely pointing out the differences between a piston reg and a diaphragm reg. The difference is clear, a piston reg can pump out more air than a diaphragm. This is why ScubaPro holds the record with a piston reg, because they can pump out absurd amounts of air, because unlike a diaphragm reg a piston reg can open all the way up.

Now there is debate on whether or not someone can actually over breathe a diaphragm reg, so far many posters have claimed that its impossible to do, but so far I have seen nothing but speculation. One person posted the ScubaPro record of 134 divers but I am not sure how that helps the argument, because we are talking about over breathing a diaphragm reg. The record was set with a piston reg.

Another poster said to turn my tank on at sea level? I am not sure how that helps the argument either because things would be totally different at 120 ft.

Then there is the post about diving a piston reg in cold water, and no I haven't done it, but many of my diving friends have and say they work fine as long as they are packed. One of Sherwood's cold water regs is a piston as well and uses pressurization to keep elements out of the first stage. So not sure if your implying a piston reg cannot be used for cold water diving but it goes against everything I have been told, by some divers I really respect and have hundreds of hours under water.

My original post that got this firestorm going had nothing to do with me advising the op to get a piston reg, I was simply sharing what I learned on my journey in deciding between a piston reg and a diaphragm reg, and that I do mostly warm water diving so its piston reg for me and if I really want to cold water dive I will get my B2 packed. Maybe the op will always be cold water diving and a diaphragm reg suits him better.

But at the end of the day lots of people are claiming there is no difference between a diaphragm reg and a piston reg as far as performance goes, but that is simply not true. A piston reg can deliver a lot more air. Period.

It would be like you telling me I have a choice between 2 cars, one of them goes 100 mph and the other goes 200 mph. You insist I only need the car that goes 100 miles per hour because due to road conditions I can't go over 100 mph anyway. But your speculating you don't know that for sure.

For me I don't really see the benefit of a diaphragm reg unless your always diving cold water, or you plan on having 2 regs, a diaphragm for cold and a piston for warm.

Last edited:
Ok Bob you can laugh until your blue in the face and act like what I am saying is stupid, but if you do some research you will see this topic has been debated in depth over the years, and its not settled science.

All I see is a bunch of people parroting what other people have said. With no real evidence to base their theories on.

SoooOOoOOoo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom