Which regulator for both very cold & warm waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be fair that is a piston reg they are breathing on :p

In a pool and I bet its full pressure.

I don't know you can say that, but I can breathe quite a bit of air.

Very highly unlikely anyone can out breath a modern diaphragm at recreation depth where you may be breathing air, even if you do deep air. At technical depth, you will be breathing He. Air density goes down drastically. Flow rate will also increase with lower density. Although I don't know in what exact condition you will out breath a diaphragm, but it has to be one of those very extreme case, like 3 people sharing air at 300ft chase by a shark, or similar unreal condition.

As for Ti isn't the best for cold water, it is well explained and documented. You want a heavy and well heat conducting material at the air supply path, so the energy absorb from air expanding does NOT lower the air inlet temperature fast enough, so the heat can be transfer from ambient water back to the inlet to warm it up. Titanium is neither good heat conduting or heavy. Brass will do better for that purpose.

The recall on Oceanic is a unique problem but are you saying that a diaphragm reg will deliver as consistently under 500 PSI as a piston reg will?

Yes, take a example. I have AL legeng, it will definitely deliver air below 500psi. In fact, there are some diaphgram 1st stage will deliver more air at 500psi because IP increase with lower tank pressure.

I have heard, from multiple people that have been diving quite a long time, that it may even free flow on your last 200 PSI. Which makes sense because of the mechanics.

That has more to do with turning of the diaphragm. But again, if you need to depend your life at 200psi. I think regulator isn't your first problem.

Yes, take a example. I have AL legeng, it will definitely deliver air below 500psi. In fact, there are some diaphgram 1st stage will deliver more air at 500psi because IP increase with lower tank pressure.

That has more to do with turning of the diaphragm. But again, if you need to depend your life at 200psi. I think regulator isn't your first problem.

So the top comment kind of confirms the latter comment right? You have a chance of free flowing your air under 500 PSI with a diaphragm reg. Because of its mechanics, what I said earlier.

As far as whether or not someone can over breathe a diaphragm reg I am not sure how you can so confidently say that, the truth is you don't know for sure. We can split hairs at the end of the day and even say you are more likely to be killed by a shark than to over breathe your reg. 4 people per year still die of a shark attack. When it comes to air down there why would you want something that delivers less air but enough? I am not sure how you can go wrong with absolutely making sure you have enough air.

Right but the piston reg can deliver a lot more. Now I am not trying to say that is going to be very likely, but I doubt there are many people out there that could breathe more air than I could. Last time I was down I shot 2 x40 inch permit and spent 15 minutes fighting off 8 Goliath. It may not sound strenuous but I literally had to rip it out of their mouth multiple times, and use all my strength to push them away, they kept trying to bump me and spike me.

Piston does delivery more flow, but it needs to be where it matters. If you will never our breath a diaphragm, how would high flow of piston matter at all. Maybe it is nice to know the capability is there, but decision making should never depend on that realistically, right?

The problem with exerting yourself underwater is NOT where your reg can delivery the flow. Long before you get to the flow limit, you will retain enough CO2 that get our in trouble. The feeling you have after fighting off 8 goliath is CO2 retention. Not because you max out your reg's flow rate.

Scuba Force Regs... Awesome for warm or cold water. excellent WOB
scubaforceusa.com
386-466-2113

Piston does delivery more flow, but it needs to be where it matters. If you will never our breath a diaphragm, how would high flow of piston matter at all. Maybe it is nice to know the capability is there, but decision making should never depend on that realistically, right?

The problem with exerting yourself underwater is NOT where your reg can delivery the flow. Long before you get to the flow limit, you will retain enough CO2 that get our in trouble. The feeling you have after fighting off 8 goliath is CO2 retention. Not because you max out your reg's flow rate.

I never had any trouble breathing when I was down there, I am just saying my point of view is little more drastic than some others. And that I exerted as much energy as I would in a 20 minute workout lifting weights. For my first 40 dives or so I used a diaphragm reg and never had any issues. But there is a performance difference between the 2 types of regs and its worth noting, I think.

So the top comment kind of confirms the latter comment right? You have a chance of free flowing your air under 500 PSI with a diaphragm reg. Because of its mechanics, what I said earlier.

Again, it is 1st stage turning dependent. Plus if you have a balance 2nd stage, some IP variation actually doesn't matter at all. Free flowing at 200psi is more to do with reg mis tune more than the design of the reg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom