Which regulator for both very cold & warm waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boyan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I am in the process of buying my first regulator.

Some details:
  • I dive in warm waters
  • I dive in coldish waters (10°C)
  • I plan on diving in cooler waters (4°C)
  • I would like to occasionally dive in ice waters (ice°C)
  • I am looking for a complete set, set-up in a "dir" way (long house for main, strap for octopus)
  • I can spend $ 1,500 for the whole set, could spend more if it makes a lot of sense
  • I plan to maybe do some technical diving
  • I am living in Austria, EU
  • I will be diving in salt & fresh water
So far I have learned, that very cold water oriented regulators, may not be optimal in warm water, because of decreased performance. I have also read somewhere, that in EU I should probably orient myself towards apeks, instead of scubapro. It seems to me, 2 years ago top shelf regulators, suitable for technical diving where a lot more expensive, or am I just imagining it? Will I have less fun in warm water with ice-optimized regulator? Should I rather try to get two sets?

I have no idea where to start. How do I approach this?

not even close to truth...
That's good news. So I should focus on getting a regulator suitable for ice and I will be fine? I was saying that, because in some threads some people recommend the scubapro mk17 for cold water instead of the mk25, which is higher performance. Or something like that.

scubapro mk17 for cold water instead of the mk25, which is higher performance.

Aside from an ANSI breathing machine, I doubt just about anyone could discern the difference... hype/marketing.

It is true a piston can flow more, but is still limited by the capability of the tank valve.....

@rhwestfall, I agree. Conversely, extreme diligence will get you down and back with a "warm water" kit. BTDT.

Any top-shelf coldwater set will serve you well. I wouldn't stress unless you are thinking about going under sea ice.
I do plan to occasionally go under lake ice.

Something like Apeks XTX50 won’t break the bank and is a good choice.
What would be an example of an option, that would break the bank? I don't mind investing in my safety.

In that case, invest in ice training. It isn't about the gear, the gear will work.
Sure, I will be doing guided only dives at the beginning. However freeflow seems to be a major problem no?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom