Which reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheat

New
Reaction score
Hey yall. I am new to scuba, and was just wondering which reg. would be the best option for someone with approximately a $400 range. I will only be doing tropical dives if that helps.
Thanks

$400 for the entire set-up or $400 for a 1st stage+2nd stage only?

For the entire kit, that means you're looking at a $200-$250 regulator. At this price my vote goes to the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe. It's a proven design, and has nice hose routing. If you like Scuba Diving's reviews: http://www.scubadiving.com/article3092

If you're talking about a $400 regulator, I'd want a Zeagle Flathead VI. Not for any particular reason, except that it's Zeagle's top of the line reg. I don't know if I would actually appreciate the difference between this reg or my DS-IVs, but what the heck. I'm fantasizing about spending $400 on a reg.

Welcome to Scubaboard...

I Dive the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe that ae3753 mentioned. I havn't had any problems.

wheat:
Hey yall. I am new to scuba, and was just wondering which reg. would be the best option for someone with approximately a $400 range. I will only be doing tropical dives if that helps.
Thanks

I like the Dive-Rites. Salvo has similar regs but I own and dive two Dive Rites and for the money, they be my first choice. Other choices, the zeagle line is good, I have the Flathead IV, DS4 and two envoys. All good regs. Don't worry about the cold water vs warm water stuff. Any reg that is good enough for cold water will work just fine in warm water. (the reverse is not always true)

My choice would be an Apeks XTX50 with octopus 40 and separately a second 1st stage DS4.
--> extremly comfortable, 200% cold water useable

Be sure to buy something that can be used in cold water - who knows if you want to stay in warm water for ever...

Buy a Zeagle Flathead, if Zeagle service is available in your area. I dive witha Mares Abyss which is also a bulletproof reg.
We dive deep on nitrox & air a few days a week year round with no problems ever.
Scuba Pro seems to be more readily available which would certainly make it an option. A couple of the divers with us swaer by Apeks.
Buy the best you can afford. Your life depends on it!!

Wheat, I think that for 400$, there are many many good regulators out there. Most of the top brand reg makers produce excellent quality products that all do the same job very well. And the differences are small details, you might come to appreciate once you have some experience with different brands.

I think if you stick to the main brands, you can't really go wrong. Now up to you to snoop around and read posts on different models, to help you make your own advized decision! And to save money, check out the specials on many web-stores. Scubatoys has a lot of different models, good prices, manufacturers warranty, and from what I hear, good competent service! They could certainly help you out...

Just my 0.02$ Good luck!

well i did not nesscesarily want to spend $400 dollars on a reg, but the reg, i am told is the most important part so i figured i had best get a good one, that was only to let yall no wut i was working with.:)

Back
Top Bottom