Which reg set would you pick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viceroy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm busy looking to buy my fiancee her first reg set and we've got a few choices available to us.

First is a Cressi Ellipse Titanium/MC7 full kit which we could get as part of a clearance sale of a LDS closing down...The price is 50% of what the set normally costs, and I'm a cressi fan so I think it's a good deal.

Otherwise, we can get pretty much any Mares or Tusa reg set frm out LDS (barring the most expensive sets)

So what would you suggest?

Unless another local shop is picking up the Cressi dealership, you will be buying a reg you cannot get parts or service for locally. I am not a cressi fan but even if I was, 50% off is not what I would consider to be a good deal in that situation.

Servicing is not a problem.

Now back to the question at hand please.

I have had good luck over the years with Mares, they offer several models to meet most anyones needs and budget. Tusa has a good reputation and have only dove one on one occasion...it was fine. IMO I would lean to the Mares out of the 3 you mentioned.

I have the Mares Proton 42 She Dives - it is designed for women and I absolutely love it.

I have a the Cressi Ellispe MC7 that I added the enviroment seal kit, for some cooler water dives. Never had a problem. For 250 bucks it has perfrom well, no problem with it. I do not dive cold water, if I did I would get a mares proton v42 or proton extreme ice. But I do not need a 500 dollar reg for my type of diving. Hopes that helps.

If you plan to go to a wireless ai computer one day, you will have to get a HP extender for 10 bucks.

I would get your fiancee involved in it and let HER decide which one she's most comfortable with.

Well there's a concept. It's a valid point as there are often little things about different regs that appeal to different people and your choices will most likely not be the same as her choices.

Some guys can be very paternal or even just plain self centered but they still need to think strategically. If your future wife continues to dive and likes it, you will end up doing a lot more diving in the future with a lot less marital stress.

One of the things I see very often is a male diver dragging a significantly less excited and dedicated female along on a sport they can do "together". In that case it is fun for one partner but not for the other and the arrangement does not last long.

You will be money ahead to give your future wife full participation and let her call the shots regarding equipment purchases and even whether she wants her own equipment at this point.

Personally, I showed up on the first day of class with all my own equipment after doing extensive reasearch on what to get and why to get it as I just KNEW this was something I wanted to do. Most people are at the other extreme and it is more of an acquired taste than love at first sight and consequently a do it big or go home approach is often a turn off.

And whether you can get it serviced or not, I am still not a Cressi fan.

I would get your fiancee involved in it and let HER decide which one she's most comfortable with.

I agree. :blinking:

I'm busy looking to buy my fiancee her first reg set and we've got a few choices available to us.

First is a Cressi Ellipse Titanium/MC7 full kit which we could get as part of a clearance sale of a LDS closing down...The price is 50% of what the set normally costs, and I'm a cressi fan so I think it's a good deal.

Otherwise, we can get pretty much any Mares or Tusa reg set frm out LDS (barring the most expensive sets)

So what would you suggest?

Those are all pretty cheap.

If you want a truly good reg, then go with ScubaPro, Zeagle, Atomic, or Apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom