which reg is better

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Point taken, but the Legend ACD was just tested in a Norwegian Diving magazine. After 50 dives it looked like new inside, no trace of water in the 1st.stage.
I have my regs serviced once a year to be on the safe side(saw mentioned that every 2 yrs in U.S., and we don't get free parts when servicing in Norway..)
As a precaution, I may use the dustcap from now on....

Point taken, but the Legend ACD was just tested in a Norwegian Diving magazine. After 50 dives it looked like new inside, no trace of water in the 1st.stage.
@Divealpha: Well, any properly functioning environmentally sealed reg should look new (and dry) inside after that number of dives.
That's setting the bar rather low, wouldn't you agree?

FWIW, I have Aqualung Legend and Apeks reg setups. None of them have the gimmicky ACD feature. I've never had an issue with water infiltration with any of my first stages.
I have my regs serviced once a year to be on the safe side(saw mentioned that every 2 yrs in U.S., and we don't get free parts when servicing in Norway..)
As a precaution, I may use the dustcap from now on....
You're almost certainly throwing away a lot of money every year by servicing your reg unnecessarily, particularly since you're paying for both parts and labor every time. You're also opening yourself up to greater chances of a dreaded "underhaul."

Arguably, it would be better and more cost-effective to monitor the "health" of your reg by:

1. Checking the i.p. put out by the first stage (i.p. gauge costs less than $20) and
  2. Conducting periodic subjective breathing tests.
  3. Conducting comprehensive functional reg tests before every dive.

A properly serviced, maintained, and stored reg should last longer than 50 dives/2 years.

Last edited:
Maybe it's me but I can't really tell if one reg works better then an another. Quality, workmanship, and materials for sure but in the water blind I can't tell one from the other. I have a few Apex xtx50 / ds4 and some cheeper Ocenic Gt3 / cdx5 regs Both are tuned to free flow wide open.

When I finally get up to PA and we get to dive together I'll bring all my regs and I guarantee you'll be able to tell the difference. Granted I have a pretty strange range in quality/price point to the regs I have...

Actually either reg could go years without service given reasonable use and care. What you're referring to is probably a change in aqualung's policy of requiring annual service to maintain the warranty. I don't know what HOG's policy is, but usually paying annual service to maintain a warranty is a bad deal, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not sure if you realize the "DIN is obsolete" comment was a joke. DIN users often feel that the DIN system is far superior. While it does have advantages, they are nothing next to the inconvenience of using an adapter if you own DIN regs and use yoke tanks. It's really simple; if you use yoke tanks, get a yoke reg. If you use both types of valves, a DIN reg plus an adapter will allow for that, but by far the best long term solution in that case is to just have DIN and yoke regs.

i knowdins obsolete was a joke cuz my dive buddy posted that cuz another dive buddy told us that one day when we went diving

@ssbuick: What reg setup (make/model) do you currently own? If it's not performing well, perhaps it just needs to be repaired, serviced, and/or tuned. Properly serviced regs should breathe like new.

As others have pointed out, the HOG D1 and Aqualung Legend regs should breathe identically if tuned identically. The regs are both based on the same fundamental design...with the exception of the new-version Legend integrating control of the Venturi lever with the breathing adjustment knob (Master Breathing System; MBS). Personally, I don't like the MBS, but it should work just fine for most people.
i currently use a sherwood 1st and 2nd dont knowe what model bought used.

i currently use a sherwood 1st and 2nd dont knowe what model bought used.
What do you dislike about the Sherwood reg setup?

If it's a performance issue, I wonder how long it's been since your regs were serviced and whether your reg tech is tuning/adjusting your regs properly.
There are lots of people out there who absolutely love their Sherwood regs.

If you insist on upgrading your current setup...
herman's idea about installing an affordable balanced 2nd stage on your existing Sherwood 1st stage might be the most cost-effective approach.

If you travel overseas you will see more DIN than yoke.

I wouldn't agree with this at all, I have never seen din valved tanks on charters in SE Asia or Australia.

Back
Top Bottom