which reg is better

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you dislike about the Sherwood reg setup?

If it's a performance issue, I wonder how long it's been since your regs were serviced and whether your reg tech is tuning/adjusting your regs properly.
There are lots of people out there who absolutely love their Sherwood regs.

If you insist on upgrading your current setup...
herman's idea about installing an affordable balanced 2nd stage on your existing Sherwood 1st stage might be the most cost-effective approach.

i was just looking to upgrade a newer set of regs. and give my sherwoods to my wife when she gets certified. ive only been diving since june 2011. i bought used from a fellow diver and have never had them serviced since i bought.

i was just looking to upgrade a newer set of regs. and give my sherwoods to my wife when she gets certified. ive only been diving since june 2011. i bought used from a fellow diver and have never had them serviced since i bought.
OK. Hopefully, you had the reg setup inspected/tuned by someone knowledgeable prior to using it on real world dives.

FWIW, there are advantages in servicing/troubleshooting if both you and your wife own the same brand regulator setup: one overhaul kit could work in either reg, the same service tech should be able to work on both regs, any ad hoc on-the-boat troubleshooting you learn would apply to both regs, the same tuning procedure could be applied to both regs, etc.

On a side note, that's an interesting approach to gear purchasing. If I were diving with a loved one, I'd want his/her gear to be as good or better than the stuff I was using. :wink:

OK. Hopefully, you had the reg setup inspected/tuned by someone knowledgeable prior to using it on real world dives.

On a side note, that's an interesting approach to gear purchasing. If I were diving with a loved one, I'd want his/her gear to be as good or better than the stuff I was using. :wink:

I sold him the sherwoods, yes they were rebuilt before he got them. He is doing the same thing I am doing with my girlfriend, letting them use trusted gear that we already own to see if they are going to like diving. Why throw cash into a new set only to have them sit on a shelf and collect dust or be sold at a loss.

The wife or girlfriend should get the new regulator. If she doesn’t like diving then you get the regulator.

I would chose the HOG. For that matter I'd buy the lady one too, and use the Sherwood's for spares and maybe auxiliaries for the moment.

Reactions: Jax
I personally wont use any other but scubapro I know what im getting and know it will last for a very long time

I sold him the sherwoods, yes they were rebuilt before he got them. He is doing the same thing I am doing with my girlfriend, letting them use trusted gear that we already own to see if they are going to like diving. Why throw cash into a new set only to have them sit on a shelf and collect dust or be sold at a loss.
tell her that you are buying her the very best because you love her that much and when she hates the sport you have new regs without her complaining about how much money you spent. Just joking!!!! Why not just buy some Poseidons and put all the questions to rest. You will love them,..no upside or downside, never wet, used for SM or BM. Friends hate them and never want to borrow them. We were in Fla. this past weekend and out of water testing, the hog regs as well as some others free flowed..but not the Poseidons I was using. Just jumping in for fun. Take care.

I personally wont use any other but scubapro I know what im getting and know it will last for a very long time
Could that be because you have a fiduciary relationship with: "The ScubaPro Store?" Well, not to disagree with you but I would never buy a ScubaPro regulator, they last no longer than any other, they work no better than other, all they do is cost a whole lot more ... and I can back that opinion up with over fifty years of diving experience, having put into service and tracked the performance and repair of literally thousands of regulators, and no link to a manufacturer or shop.

No it has nothing to do with being accosiated with the store. I would only promote stuff I use and what I've seen and repaired from other companies and over problematic engineering. Im only going to sell and recommend what is right for the buyer and give them the best options with the best qualities. Its not true in all areas of retail sale but when it comes to diving you are definitly getting what you pay for when it comes to dive gear. There is not many companies out there that have people diving their regulators that were made in the 70s and still support parts for them.

Back
Top Bottom