which reg best for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wise1

Reaction score
I'm a new (13 dives, 4 in ocean, 9 in icy Lake Erie) diver.
I'm 62.
I'm going to dive a lot more, anywhere I can.

This board seems to favor Apeks ATX100, and Scuba Pro MK series. My LDS/Instructors tell me that Sherwood Blizzard is the only reg for our local conditions (they sell it too).

I like the ScubaPro Nighthawk BC and am tempted to buy a package including the BC and the ScubaPro regs, but the closest ScubaPro dealer is 60 miles away.

What would you do? (if you were me)

If it where me
Get your instructor and take his recommendation for a dive or two
Then
Ring the LDS 60 miles away and tell them you are about to drive all the way over and you want to take the SP package for a dive when you get there,

See what you like best

But if it where me I would be going the SP package

ScubaPro regs are great, they are all I dive. I dive a Mk25/S600/R380 setup. Breaths great, very reliable. I won't use anything else.

I do not like any of the ScubaPro BCs though. I like the simple Backplate and wing.

Stay away from Sherwood. The ones I've had experience with breathed horribly.

I've dove with Sherwood regs for years and have never had a problem. Used the Blizzard, Oasis, and the Maximus- Right now Im using a Maximus and it works great. Sherwood = Workhorse, and you can't beat the price.

All these brands are quality equipment and should serve you well. Whatever your LDS sells is a plus for you, provided there are choices, which you do have. Whatever you go with be sure it's an environmental reg to help prevent freeze up. Why DON'T you dive each? Good luck.
Norm

Good question, 'wise' to ask. If I were ice diving (which I'm not) I would go with the Blizzard. It is probably the best cold water reg in the world. They have been used in the Antarctic without any failures, even when the first stage became encased in ice.

Otherwise, I believe the best regs overall are the Aqualung/Seaquest Legend LX and (for warm water) the Scubapro MK25/G250. The Apeks line are good performers also. Their model lineup is a little quirky with some having oddball LP ports or a particular model with lack of a yoke screw option, DIN only. The 'flat head' first stage on the 100 model is popular with some cave divers.

wise1 once bubbled...
I'm a new (13 dives, 4 in ocean, 9 in icy Lake Erie) diver.
I'm 62.
I'm going to dive a lot more, anywhere I can.

This board seems to favor Apeks ATX100, and Scuba Pro MK series. My LDS/Instructors tell me that Sherwood Blizzard is the only reg for our local conditions (they sell it too).

I like the ScubaPro Nighthawk BC and am tempted to buy a package including the BC and the ScubaPro regs, but the closest ScubaPro dealer is 60 miles away.

What would you do? (if you were me)

I don't want to tell you what to do, but I will say that Sherwood regs are solidly built and won't let you down no matter what the conditions. On the down side, the 2nd's breath harder than the best regs and they're a pain in the buttocks to adjust correctly. That's not to say that they're crappy regs. I've had a Sherwood for years that I now use as an Octopus.

R..

I dove a Sherwood Blizzard for many years and once I got away from it I was pleasantly surprised at how much better other regulators could breathe and how easy they are to maintain and adjust.

My preference is now an APEKS reg for many reasons, breathability, reliability, heat exchanger, second stage adjustability, hose routing, over pressured first stage...

Place a Sherwood on a tank and look at how the hoses splay out around your head. The place an APEKS on the tank and see how they wrap around below your head around your shoulders. Even in a single tank configuration they give you a lower profile.

Sherwood only has a 2 year parts warranty exchange (note the 2 rings that get snapped off and turned in at servicing)

Check what the rest have. :)

When I first started diving, I used the Sherwood Magnum regs. They were a decent set. When I bought my own regs I tried all that I could get my hands on. I went with the MK20 and G250 set. They were a great improvement on the Sherwoods. IMO they breathe better, are more comfortable and are extremely reliable. I now dive Poseidon regs for my primary and use the same SP regs for my stage bottles. 60 miles isn't really that far to drive for a better reg set, I think. If you can get the regs and BC in a apckage and save some cash, by all means do it.

Back
Top Bottom