Which pocket is best for back up mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They really do need to fix this. I recently ran into the same issue with some small item and fired off a snippy email about it. Even though Randy got back to me and explained the situation, I had already ordered the item from someplace else, and Piranha lost a sale. People expect to know what the charges will be when they place the order.

Yeah - except that the shipping is $10 more. Piranha gouges you on the shipping. Two of those would fit in a small USPS flat rate box and the regular USPS rate is less than half that for items as light as these.
How do you think those items got into the box?

UTD trains that you place things you WILL or likely will use in you right pocket. Items you will use rarely/emergency be kept in the left pocket. For example primary smb and slate in right, secondary smb, backup mask, and surface signaling gear in the left.

Really? GUE teaches the opposite. The reason is that if your emergency equipment is in your right pocket, you can signal to your buddy with the light in your left hand while reaching for it.

Really? GUE teaches the opposite. The reason is that if your emergency equipment is in your right pocket, you can signal to your buddy with the light in your left hand while reaching for it.

Also, you can reach things in the left pocket, while scootering with your right hand.

Right pocket is also unencumbered by stage/deco bottles.

Here is one "standard"

Standardized equipment placement for diver’s pockets

The lack of standardized placement for equipment stowed in a diver’s pockets continues
to create confusion among dive teams and may be considered a hazard during
emergencies in which a dive buddy needs to assist an incapacitated or troubled diver.

Therefore, GUE has agreed to standardize the placement of equipment in a diver’s
pockets. While it is understood that arguments might be made on all sides it has been
agreed that the diver’s left pocket will hold “utility” equipment while the right pocket
should hold “safety” equipment.

This convention allows divers to become familiar with placement which will best serve them in all diving scenarios. For example, a diver using a scooter can access “utility” items while scootering. Utility items include but are not limited to a primary SMB, double end clips, stage carry loops, jump spools etc.; safety items include a reserve SMB, spare mask, safety spool, wet notes etc.
UTD trains that you place things you WILL or likely will use in you right pocket. Items you will use rarely/emergency be kept in the left pocket. For example primary smb and slate in right, secondary smb, backup mask, and surface signaling gear in the left.

Also, you can reach things in the left pocket, while scootering with your right hand.

Right pocket is also unencumbered by stage/deco bottles.
Actually, GUE's original pocket configuration is UTD's current standardization of Right/Utility - and Left/Emergency items such as spare mask, back-up cutter & Safety Spool etc (i.e. Back when Andrew Georgitsis was technical training director of GUE -and who wrote the original GUE Fundamentals training regimen- before leaving to start his own agency of UTD), and that's the way I learned it in Fundies back in 2001, retaining that configuration throughout advanced & technical wreck training over the years:

Your corded canister primary light head is on your left hand; your right hand is free to work in & out of your Right Utility Pocket as needed for line markers/arrows/clips, wet notes, Spools, DSMB, bottle/DPV leash etc. The Left Pocket holds spare mask, safety spool etc -typical items that you will be deploying immediately in a contingency and not be stowing back into the Left Pocket i.e.-If you lose your mask, you only have to temporarily clip-off your Primary Light Head and reach under & past any deco/stage bottles once with your left hand to get to your spare mask in the Left Pocket. Same with a lost line contingency: clip-off your Light Head, reach into your Left Pocket for the Safety Spool, put the Light Head back on your left hand and perform a lost line search. However, if the Left Pocket is the Utility contents then you would be inconveniently clipping/unclipping taking-off/putting-on your Light Head and "hand-cuff'd" by any deco/stage bottles getting in the way, working in & out of that pocket as many times with your left hand.

I can understand the justification for the current GUE standard configuration though, having total unfettered access to Emergency Contingency items in the Right Pocket with a free right hand -this is especially advantageous if you're the lead teammate (or if going solo) running a primary penetration reel in the left hand along with your primary light head.

Last edited:
How do you think those items got into the box?

As far as I'm concerned, that activity takes less time and effort than dealing with an in-store customer and you don't charge them extra for handling. If you're going to charge me $5 or more for handling - putting something on a box, printing a label and sticking it on - I'll take my business elsewhere. $5 for a 5 minute job is $60/hour.

As far as I'm concerned, that activity takes less time and effort than dealing with an in-store customer and you don't charge them extra for handling. If you're going to charge me $5 or more for handling - putting something on a box, printing a label and sticking it on - I'll take my business elsewhere. $5 for a 5 minute job is $60/hour.
Boring

Since you are a solo diver a lot of the underlying logic behind the which pocket you want it in has been removed. If I'm solo diving I use the same SM rig I take in wrecks/caves. I keep my spare mask in my butt pocket. The key thing here is put your gear in the same place every time so you don't have to think about it. If you have someone at the surface go thru the head to toe checklist out loud and verbally telling them and confirming where everything is. Keep your rig clean and everything in it's place and you will be fine. If something feels out of place over time move to where it feels more natural for you as a solo diver. UTD/GUE are buddy team oriented approaches and have thought things out accordingly.

Standards are great unless the diver is left handed, or in my case, one of my main buddies is an amputee. Stuff in his right pocket might as well be on the dock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom