Which pocket is best for back up mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always have one, depends on the dive if it stays on the boat [beach] or in my right pocket.
I wear these now days, nice for all sorts of crap. hybrid_cargo_shorts_.jpg

What’s a backup mask for? Lol

in 26 years of diving, I’ve never lost a mask once.

Approaching 500 dives and have never lost a mask myself but have seen it twice.

First is avoidable, second not so avoidable.

Bunch of divers clamored around a turtle or something, one of them kicks the mask of another divers face.
Avoidable.

On an ascent line, divers at safety stop. A diver about a meter higher in the column descends onto diver and kicks mask off face.
Not always avoidable.
At the same site yesterday, there was a strong current and you really wanted to be holing on to the line otherwise you'd be kicking hard to stay near the line and not get carried away by the current.

I suppose tethering yourself to the line with a 2 meter reef hook would work but that becomes an entanglement risk for you and other divers ascending/descending on the line.

I suppose tethering yourself to the line with a 2 meter reef hook would work but that becomes an entanglement risk for you and other dives ascending/descending on the line.

DiveRite Buddy line works well

Here is one "standard"

Standardized equipment placement for diver’s pockets

The lack of standardized placement for equipment stowed in a diver’s pockets continues

to create confusion among dive teams and may be considered a hazard during

emergencies in which a dive buddy needs to assist an incapacitated or troubled diver.

Therefore, GUE has agreed to standardize the placement of equipment in a diver’s

pockets. While it is understood that arguments might be made on all sides it has been

agreed that the diver’s left pocket will hold “utility” equipment while the right pocket

should hold “safety” equipment. This convention allows divers to become familiar with

placement which will best serve them in all diving scenarios. For example, a diver using

a scooter can access “utility” items while scootering. Utility items include but are not

limited to a primary SMB, double end clips, stage carry loops, jump spools etc.; safety

items include a reserve SMB, spare mask, safety spool, wet notes etc.
Suits me fine and is a good standard for mixed teams, but that diving system is designed for the right-handed people only.

With a mixed team I mean right-handed and left-handed people in the same team.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom