Which Ones?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom2004

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im looking at buying a new pair of fins. I do most of my diving in florida. Im going to the Bahamas in June. Should I buy adjustable fins with my booties, or full foot fins?

For warm water boat diving many people like full foot fins. For shore diving and/or colder water diving, open heel fins with booties.

Most full foot fins are much less expensive than adjustable fins, so you might be able to buy both.

If im doing shore diving, can full foot fins still work as well as adjustable fins?

Once in the water, full foot fins usually perform better than open heel fins. Full foot fins are worn barefoot or with a thin sock. Shore divers use open heel fins because they wear booties to protect their feet.

I'd go open heel. I'm having flash backs to a muddy lake shore that I lost a full foot fin two or three times (lost, found, repeat) until I took them off trying to get to shore. Sunk down to knees in mud... cut foot on sharp rock. Plus, on a lake (not recomended for oceans) you have the option of walking back to camp, car,...

Plus, you can take your open heels off and wade to deeper water to put them on and you can slip your wrist in the strap vs having to carry them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom