Which one ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ian123

New
Reaction score
I have a Suunto Gekko and want to a buy a new one and keep the Gekko as a back up

Wich one should i go for in between

Uwatec Aladin 2G
Oceanic Geo 2
IST GP-4000

I'm looking for a computer less conservative than my Gekko..
So algorythme is what i want to focus on...

Thank's

...algorythme is what i want to focus on...

What's your preference on the model used for the algorithm?

Haldanian? Neo-Haldanian? Dual-Phase? etc etc

If you're buying a computer based on algorithm, then it helps to know what those algorithms are doing, and why... and how that applies to the diving you do...and the philosophies you subscribe to. More or less conservative can be a bit of a misnomer...

Mark Powell's book "Deco for Divers' is a big head-start towards gaining that appreciation.

Don't know if this is relevant but I dive a Suunto and an Aeris which is owned I believe by Oceanic. The Suunto is considerably more conservative than the Aeris. I clear both computers on every dive but like having conservative and liberal estimates of bottom time available.

If you don't clear your conservative computer and the liberal one fails you may be without backup for your second dive since it might be ticked off at you.

Keep in mind that if you dive a less conservative computer than the Gekko, BUT you also have the Gekko on your person as a backup, you may lock out your Gekko if it goes past it's NDL on your dive profile.

If you don't take the Gekko with you on a dive, then it's not much of a backup, as you'll have to wait 24hours before diving it to have your body "catch-up" to the unloaded profile of the Gekko; seeing you wouldn't be able to update it with your previous dive profiles of that day.

Keep in mind that if you dive a less conservative computer than the Gekko, BUT you also have the Gekko on your person as a backup, you may lock out your Gekko if it goes past it's NDL on your dive profile.

If you don't take the Gekko with you on a dive, then it's not much of a backup, as you'll have to wait 24hours before diving it to have your body "catch-up" to the unloaded profile of the Gekko; seeing you wouldn't be able to update it with your previous dive profiles of that day.

totally agree - your backup computer needs to be as identical to your main computer as possible.

If your 2 computers give different answers, which one do you choose?

The one that makes you happy? Or the one that makes you dead?

totally agree - your backup computer needs to be as identical to your main computer as possible.

If your 2 computers give different answers, which one do you choose?

The one that makes you happy? Or the one that makes you dead?

The more conservative one. :wink:
That will keep both computers happy. Although that would put us back to square one, right?

What do you currently have the "Personal Adjustment" setting set to on the Gekko?

Are you diving with or plan to dive with more than one gas blend on a single dive?

The more conservative one. :wink:
That will keep both computers happy. Although that would put us back to square one, right?
I agree with your choice. And your observation that you may as well toss the other computer as its information is useless.

But based upon many divers desire to maximize their (perceived) pleasure level, they may not make the same choice. Although that may be perfectly safe as well. But who knows. Maybe for that particular diver the conservative computer was the only right answer?

Keep it simple, remove choices. Make the computers the same. No choices, no judgement calls, no second guessing.

There have been a few threads on a similar subject lately. Many posters seem to take the view that as long as the computer says it is okay, then I will be fine. So it is okay to push the limits on the most aggressive computer. Even if I am not a Navy diver (or a goat...).

That attitude scares the willys out of me. I am old, fat and reasonably out of shape. I am not the model navy diver that some tables are based on (I have one of those guys on my hockey team and he makes me feel real old... somedays I hate Gavin). We used to dive the edge of the table limits, but do conservative multilevel dives, so we were not that worried. Once we got a computer we felt totally comfortable to continue the same dive profiles. I often see more than 99 minutes of NDL towards the end of my dives.

So why push the limits of the computer?

Maybe this needs to be the subject of a poll?

At the end of the day, you can fudge whatever you like to achieve a longer dive. Get some desktop dive planning software and fiddle with the parameters until your desired dive-time/profile is achievable.

Sadly, you can't make equal adjustments to your own physiology. For that reason alone, I prefer to stick with a health level of conservatism..

Back
Top Bottom