Which one would you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sask

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are booking Bonaire for the last week in June. Which of these two would you recommend and why? Bel Mar Oceanfront Apartments or Sand Dollar Condos. I am sure there are many other choices but please between these two. I am short on time and don't need to add more confusion to the four of us planning. Thanks

Sask..Just my opinion.. I've stayed at both at least 3 times each. I'd chose Belmar. The units are closer to the ocean, they all have unobstructed ocean view and the pool fronts the ocean. Great place for divers to gather during happy hour with drinks.
On top of that they have a kick-as$ dive op on premises with all the nitrox you can use. A word of caution though, watch the floor tiles which can become incredibly slippery when wet!

I agree with Vince, both are good but Belmar would be my choice between the 2 and I prefer the dive shop. If you choose SD, we will likely cross paths on the dock, I am at Den Laman, next door to SD that week.
There are going to be a bunch of SB divers on island that week, we need to get some kind of official thingie on our BC to let the rest know who we are.

Sand Dollar is on Bari Reef - one of the better shore dives. It's also directly across from Klein Bonaire. Sand Dollar is among the dive resorts north of town - a short drive to downtown.

BelMar's reef is an extension of Bachelor's Beach - a good dive but not something we did more than twice. BelMar has the advantage of being 50' from the water - we left the patio door open at night to hear the waves breaking. BelMar sits slightly up on the ironshore so there's no beach - just stairs down to their dive dock and sundeck. For a beach, you'd have to walk over to Bachelors Beach - no idea what it's like. BelMar is in BelNem, a quiet residential area south of town.

From what we saw - not much beach at Sand Dollar either. But there is some sand among the ironshore IIRC near the south end of the property. We didn't go near the main portion of the resort as we were diving with BD&A - they're located on the south end of the property.

The other Buddy Dive operation is at BelMar. So you can use the drive-thru tank pickup at Buddy Dive when diving north of town. And boat dive with them also if you buy that package. Buddy definitely has bigger boats than BD&A.

BelMar's pool is between the condos and the water. We had one of the middle condos on the first floor so it was 30' from our patio. Sand Dollar's pool is in the parking lot - the view to the ocean is blocked by the condos. In our BelMar condo the master bedroom was in back so the view is of the parking lot/neighborhood. Unobstructed view out to the ocean west from the living room, we watched the sun set off our patio.

If you're getting a first floor condo at BelMar, you'll have a locking dive closet just outside your back door -your condo key opens it - from there it's 30' to the parking lot. For 2nd/3rd floor units, there's dive lockers at the south side of the property in/near the diveshop. When we were there, lockers were outside by the rinsetank and suit hangup storage was inside in the public area. Your condo key also lets you into the public areas of the dive shop so you can use the Nitox Analyzer, get tanks etc. - 24/7 - at least it did when Toucan Dive ran it - that was a few years back. Tank pickup for shore diving elsewhere is at the south end of the parking lot - it's a very compressed property - Buddy's stages tanks on the dive dock for house dives - air only as the analyzer is in the shop.

From what I've read BD&A closes up around 5:00 so you need to get tanks and store them for night dives. But you could just throw them in the truck - we left tanks in ours all week. No one steals them since no shop will fill another's.

Parking is real tight at BelMar, one car per condo. BelMar looked to be the newer property also.

Sand Dollar has more nearby dining options, in addition to their restaurant you could walk to Sunset Grill at Den Laman, Lions Den at Buddys, Rumrunners at Capt' Don's or Bongoes Beach Bar at Eden Beach. There's also a bank/ATM, Lover's Ice Cream and small market just south of there within walking distance.

BelMar is past the airport south of town - there's only one restaurant nearby that I'm aware of. The next nearest food would probably be at Plaza Resort or a couple minutes further north to Kralendijk. Since there's a lagoon between BelNem and south Kralendijk, you have to drive as the road jogs inland first - watch for the donkeys, they hang out there when they get out of the sanctuary. And are used to being fed so cluster near the road. No streetlights either IIRC...

I'd stay at BelMar...

Last edited:
Sask,
have not stayed at either but have visited both, and do read this board as well as Bonaire talk about accommodations. My choice would be Bel Mar Apartments based on all the above. actually i would even stay their :)
for whatever reason not interested in the sand dollar but that's just me.

Diving is better in front of sand Dollar.
Facilities are better at Belmar.

Parking can be an issue at Belmar, not so much at Sand Dollar!

I have stayed at Belmar and Den Laman (But not Sand Dollar).

I would have to say that I would choose Belmar!

I vote Sand Dollar. We stayed there last month and really enjoyed the condo. Bari reef is great and we dove from the dock almost every day. I agree thaty the dive op is not the best, but they had plenty of tanks and didn't give us a hard time about taking 4 at a time. The condo was very clean, the daily service was great, the Wi-FI worked well, and security was very visiable 24 hours a day.

Thanks for all the help I appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom