Diving Mauritius - when and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pelicanne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Planning to book a couple of weeks in Mauritius later this year. Was thinking the end of Sept & beginning of October. Is this an optimum time for a combination of warmth, vis and big stuff? I’m flexible.

Also, please can anyone recommend dive shops? Which are the best locations? Happy to stay in two or three areas for the best of the diving, as long as there’s some budget accommodation available!

Would really appreciate any replies.

Many thanks!

P.

@Pelicanne . As there has been no replies, I will make some comments.

Went to Mauritius for a family holiday towards the end of September 2004. Squeezed in half a dozen dives while there. My better half booked the hotel as it said diving available. We flew there with Air France changing in Charles de Gaulle, and leaving from London (don’t remember which airport). The time of year was only chosen to miss school holidays and fit in with work.

The hotel we stayed at does not fit your specification (budget), so I can’t help you there. Our hotel was in the north east of the island. They also had a boat go out for some snorkelling that I took advantage of.

I arranged my diving once we were there. There was a hut near the beach that arranged things. Went there with my BSAC/CMAS card and booked some diving. I dived with Emperator diving. They picked me up from the hotel and took me to the boat. The boat was a RIB. My log book says a bit windy and sea lumpy. You should fit right in with you UK diving. Visibility was 10m to 20m. Don’t know if they were the best or if the location was good. Used a 5mm wetsuit, hood and boots. The coolest thing was when we were about to leave the dive site, a whale and it’s calf were right next to us.

@Pelicanne . As there has been no replies, I will make some comments.

Went to Mauritius for a family holiday towards the end of September 2004. Squeezed in half a dozen dives while there. My better half booked the hotel as it said diving available. We flew there with Air France changing in Charles de Gaulle, and leaving from London (don’t remember which airport). The time of year was only chosen to miss school holidays and fit in with work.

The hotel we stayed at does not fit your specification (budget), so I can’t help you there. Our hotel was in the north east of the island. They also had a boat go out for some snorkelling that I took advantage of.

I arranged my diving once we were there. There was a hut near the beach that arranged things. Went there with my BSAC/CMAS card and booked some diving. I dived with Emperator diving. They picked me up from the hotel and took me to the boat. The boat was a RIB. My log book says a bit windy and sea lumpy. You should fit right in with you UK diving. Visibility was 10m to 20m. Don’t know if they were the best or if the location was good. Used a 5mm wetsuit, hood and boots. The coolest thing was when we were about to leave the dive site, a whale and it’s calf were right next to us.
Hi Mark, thank you for replying, really appreciate it! I’ll look up Emperator. Were you diving on the east of the island or did you travel to the north/west? Thanks again!

Hi Mark, thank you for replying, really appreciate it! I’ll look up Emperator. Were you diving on the east of the island or did you travel to the north/west? Thanks again!
The boat went from the north of the island. Don’t remember where the boat went. Our hotel was if I remember the last drop off of the bus, so the opposite end from the airport. Seem to remember being bitten by the bugs, so some bug spray may be needed.

P.S. Didn’t go to Reunion, but the stamp in my logbook has a FFESSM number so some French influence.

I went end March last year and dived by West and North coast, Eurodivers and Dodo Divers up north, both were good, generally I think the better diving is off the north end especially if you can go further off shore but nice to experience both locations, water temps pretty similar in both locations at 27 degrees. Bits and bobs to see and diving was enjoyable but certainly not a go to diving destination

Attachments

• P3230373 Edited.jpeg
    P3230373 Edited.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 26
  • P3230321 Edited.jpeg
    P3230321 Edited.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 27
  • P3220279 Edited.jpeg
    P3220279 Edited.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 29
  • P3200144 Edited.jpeg
    P3200144 Edited.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 30
  • P3210202 Edited.jpeg
    P3210202 Edited.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 25
Hi GRM, thanks a lot for that, much appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom