Which octopus to choose for Mares Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccd79

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am looking for a very compact octopus to match with my new Mares Abyss. Don't like a bulky circular shape octopus. At LP they sell Dacor Viper Octopushttp://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=DCRVO&ItemIndex=13&CategoryID=960&Context=954&Sort=Price&Filter= for $74. It looks cool, streamlined and smaller. Will I have any problem fitting this octopus to my Abyss first stage? With $5 more there is Mares MR12 Proton Octopus. Which one should I go for? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

ccd79:
I am looking for a very compact octopus to match with my new Mares Abyss. Don't like a bulky circular shape octopus. At LP they sell Dacor Viper Octopushttp://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=DCRVO&ItemIndex=13&CategoryID=960&Context=954&Sort=Price&Filter= for $74. It looks cool, streamlined and smaller. Will I have any problem fitting this octopus to my Abyss first stage? With $5 more there is Mares MR12 Proton Octopus. Which one should I go for? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I would advise getting the Proton Octopus. When you have your regs serviced, it would make it easy since the entire reg package is Mares. The Viper is a very good performing second stage, but it does breathe wet if the reg's body is not held horizontal. Side exhaust regs are all pretty notorious for this. Poseidon went to a front mounted exhaust valve for their newest reg due to this engineering point.

Greg

second on the proton. Not only do you keep the brand together (simplifies service) but you will also get a better octo. I heard that the Vipers don't breathe that well, and well, dacor is not the most popular kid on the reg block right now.

ok, Seems Mares is the one... I will get it.

Thanks for the advice. This board is really helpfull :dazzler1:

WAIT!!

Scuba Pro R190 -Its a fantastic 2nd!! Cheap too.

Back
Top Bottom