Which new reg???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what type of gas you havein your pony. But you should check out the apeks deco/o2 clean regs. Just an option. I would recommend the ATX50 DS4 for the pony. The swivel gives you really low profile for hose routing. this is more important with ponies and stages.

i have 3 din ds4's and 3 atx 50's two are rigged for my doubles and the third is set up O2 clean for my stage/pony. It works out really good for me and the breath great. the DS4/atx 50 combo is hard to find together. Dive Inn has this as well as some dude on Ebay called " tmmcon" that sells new apeks stuff, i have bought from both and everything is factory stuff. For my stage setup i bought a DS4 from the ebay guy and a yellow atx 50 octo from leisurepro before the price went up, had it O2 cleaned and it works great and it's yellow for the hotter mixes. (My other atx 50's are black). I think the ebay guy has din DS4's for something like $160 plus a yellow octo and oms pressure gauge from leisure pro is $150 and $75. so for $385 plus O2 clean plus shipping you can have a complete pony/stage rig that will be good for any condition. Cheaper if you select a atx40 or atx20. Don't know if this works for you but its working great for me.

good luck

kurt

Damn I'll need to get 2 new first stages now. I just found out the ATX 200 first stage isn't DIR!!! Yeah I just read that thread on the "Great 1/2" Port Controversy!"

I am diving a BP, jets, just switched to 7' primary, and do plan on taking DIR-F at some point...
BUT
...Nitpicky BS like that is the reason I will never go completely DIR.

Seriously though I was thinking of maybe going with the DS4 to save a few bucks. From what I can tell the only difference between the 2 first stages is the 200 first is higher profile, has the 1/2 inch port, 2 HP ports, and is balanced.

Well lower profile is better, I don't need an extra HP port, and no 1/2" port is no big deal...
BUT
...What is the rea benifit to having th balanced 1st stage?

Well, I believe you CAN make the ATX-200 first stage DIR. Just block the port, and use the standard ports. Or, carry a spare 1/2" hose with you.

Is it really that much better than the DS4 though?
What is the real advantage of the first stage being balanced?
Outside of that, I'm actually leaning more towards the DS4, mainly for 2 reasons
(lower profile and cheaper)

grunzster:
Damn I'll need to get 2 new first stages now. I just found out the ATX 200 first stage isn't DIR!!! Yeah I just read that thread on the "Great 1/2" Port Controversy!"

I am diving a BP, jets, just switched to 7' primary, and do plan on taking DIR-F at some point...
BUT
...Nitpicky BS like that is the reason I will never go completely DIR.

Seriously though I was thinking of maybe going with the DS4 to save a few bucks. From what I can tell the only difference between the 2 first stages is the 200 first is higher profile, has the 1/2 inch port, 2 HP ports, and is balanced.

Well lower profile is better, I don't need an extra HP port, and no 1/2" port is no big deal...
BUT
...What is the rea benifit to having th balanced 1st stage?

The DS4 is balanced, overbalanced actually. I believe all the Apeks firsts are balanced and only the US4 is not overbalanced.

It is balanced. I believe all of their regs are balanced diaphragms, and all with an environmental seal are overbalanced.

Edit:

Here's a link to their site, and an excerpt from that page:

Apeks manufactures an extensive range of first stages to meet the needs of every diver. All are of pressure adjustable depth compensated balanced diaphragm design and supply air at exactly the right pressure.

http://www.apeks.co.uk/products/product_cats.asp?Category=First Stages

I would agree with the idea of carrying a spare 1/2" hose, but I wouldn't recommend using another port. The other low pressure port is a little further back and angle away from the diver. I didn't work too well when I tried to set it up.
Yes they are all balanced diaphragms
Yes the env. klit makes it overbalanced.

If you're thinking of going to doubles in the near future.. go with the 200 for the pony.. and have it detuned.. Save $$$ somewhere else.. use solid regs..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom