Which new reg???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm currently diving singles with an Apeks ATX 200 and ATX 40 backup.

I just picked up a pony, so I need to get another reg.

Please don't start the pony debate. The boats here require either a pony or doubles.

I was thinking of getting another ATX 200 for my backup and switching the 40 to my pony, but one of the guys I dive with said it's usually recommended not to use a high performance reg as you backup.

Is this true?
Should I keep the 40 as my back up, or should I move it to the pony?
What reg should I get to use on the pony or to replace the 40?

I want it to be another Apeks. In addition to using it with the pony right now, there is a chance I may eventually switch to doubles. There is also a possibly I may need the third reg for a stage in the future.

You can use a high-performance reg as a backup as long as you "de-tune" the second stage to minimize the potential for free-flow.

My question is why spend all that money? You'd get awesome performance out of a DS4/ATX50 for the backup ... at a fraction of the cost of an ATX200.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well after talking about it yesterday I kind of realized that, why spend all the money on a reg that for the most part won't be used too often.

I was kind of thinking 100 or 50.

Would you recommend I use the 50 as my backup or for the pony and possibly deco bottle in the future?

I have the ATX 50s as primary regs. I can't feel the difference between the 50 and the ATX 200 which I dove 4-5 times. I use an ATX 50 on a primary lp 104 and a second one on a backup pony 40 when the need arises.

Yeah, but you have to admit that two ATX-200's on a set of doubles is really sweet. Thats what I use, and I love em. Of course, when I got mine, cost was not an issue (can you say "keyman"?). For technical diving, your backup regulator should MOST definitely be a high performance reg. Thats the one that YOU are going to be breathing in an OOA situation. For the dives you are doing, I would skip the pony, and just dive doubles and use two DS4's/50's for regs.

Just curious, but where are you diving that the boats require a pony or doubles? That's a new one to me.

Damn LUBOLD, now you have me leaning towards getting another 200 again!!!

I do plan on probably doing doubles eventually anyway, but my credit cards are hurting real bad now!!! Used pony plus a reg is a lot cheaper than, a reg plus manifold, and a new wing.

glbirch - Most of the boats here in NJ require redundancy (either double or a pony)

grunzster:
Damn LUBOLD, now you have me leaning towards getting another 200 again!!!

Well, personally, I dont think you will regret it. On the other hand, if you are having trouble scraping up the dough for another reg (been there, BTW), you cant go wrong with a DS4. Although, I would get two of the same regs, and keep your 200 as your singles reg. But then again, if you are buying two DS4's, you could just buy one 200. Tough choice, choose wisely...
BTW, I have two 200's, and three ds4's. You can never have enough regs...

LUBOLD8431:
Well, personally, I dont think you will regret it. On the other hand, if you are having trouble scraping up the dough for another reg (been there, BTW), you cant go wrong with a DS4. Although, I would get two of the same regs, and keep your 200 as your singles reg. But then again, if you are buying two DS4's, you could just buy one 200. Tough choice, choose wisely...
BTW, I have two 200's, and three ds4's. You can never have enough regs...

Does the 200 come with a DS4 first stage? I read all the time from SB and people say stuff like, "I have a DS4 first stage and a ATX 200 second stage." Can you just buy a second stage w/o a first stage and vise versa? Seems like a lot of people like the DS4 first stage. I was looking into buying the 200 and want a good first stage to go with it also.

Gerard

No, the DS4 is a different first stage than the 200 first stage. Check out the Apeks website for pics...

Back
Top Bottom