Which Midclass Reg ? Suggestion inside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey
so i was reading a bunch of Topics in the Forum and asked old Dive Buddies and its a pain in the ass to find a reg.
So many Options. I one Topic people recommend one reg and in the other another one.

So my requirements:

• 10-20 Dives per year
  • Low maintenance cost
  • 200-350 Euro / 300-400 USD , prices varie pretty much. Some stuff costs in US like 500 USD and i can get it here for 300 Euro.
  • Normal Fundiving around the World

So what i got:
  • [h=1]Scubapro MK17 / C300 - 280 Euro [/h][h=1]Scubapro MK17 S360 Yoke - 306 Euro[/h][h=1]Aqualung Titan LX ACD Yoke - 253 Euro[/h][h=1]Apeks ATX 40 DS4 + ATX 40 Octopus DIN - 344 Euro[/h][h=1]Scubapro MK2 Evo R195 Yoke - 260 Euro[/h]Other Suggestions ?

The Problem here i see is
    • that Apeks is DIN, from my little expirience YOKE is much more common around the World.
    • Scubapro and Aqualung Octos are pretty expensive around 100-130 Euro, is it recommended to buy some Cheap Octo like from Cressi

I want to buy my stuff from Online dive shop, buy online diving, snorkeling & swimming equipment or Amazon.de: GÃ

• Scubapro MK17 / C300 - 280 Euro

Scubapro MK17 S360 Yoke - 306 Euro

Aqualung Titan LX ACD Yoke - 253 Euro

Apeks ATX 40 DS4 + ATX 40 Octopus DIN - 344 Euro

Scubapro MK2 Evo R195 Yoke - 260 Euro

All of those regs except for the SP Mk2+ have diaphragm first stages. The Mk2+ is an unbalanced piston. All have been in production for a long time and have excellent reputations and readily available parts in most parts of the world. You would be making a good decision no matter which you pick.

The Mk2+, being unbalanced will start to breathe harder as you draw the tank down toward the end of the dive. OTOH, a lot of people consider it bullet-proof due to its simplicity of design. A lot of technical divers use it on their stage bottles which says a lot about their trust in it. A lot of these guys use the Mk17 as the first stage on their back-gas due to the breathability and dependability of it.

I own eight or ten US Divers Conshelf regs which are the precursor to the Titan and have been in production since the 60's. They breathe great and they are durable and easily maintained.

Not many people that I know use Apeks but I understand they have an excellent reputation as well. Maybe someone that has experience with them will chime in.

If it were me, I would get the Mk17 because I don't currently have one and I want one. I would get two G260 Second stages with it however rather than the ones you list.

The site you linked isn't showing either Scubapro or Aqualung. In the states, you can't really buy either one over the internet because these companies don't believe in the free market. Any internet link you find for them is either a non-authorized dealer or directs you to a brick and mortar dive shop. They also won't sell parts except through dealers. A lot of people won't buy their regulators because of these policies. It may not bother you, however.

It has also been my experience that yoke regulators are much more common in the rest of the world. For a travel reg, that is what I would get. I have never run into a dive operation on vacation that has a bunch of DIN valves on their tanks.

A lot of people consider both second stages equally important as you could just as likely be breathing from your onto if a panicked out-of-air diver mugs you and pulls yours out of your mouth. That may never happen but if it does, wouldn't you want a backup that is just as good as your primary?

There are some people on here a lot more knowledgeable on regs than me. Maybe they will speak up and help you out. Good luck in your choice!

You can buy scuba pro on line. Leisure pro is an authorized dealer as is tech diving limited. Aqualung allows large dealers to sell on amazon. They do screw their small dealers though. They do not allow dealers to sell parts officially to anyone. They sell parts to dealers so that you can bring them in for service. They call some programs free parts but they are not. You pay for them on the front end and then pay for labor that often is not needed.

Ok thanks for the Infos, i will buy than mk17/g260 i guess since my dive teacher also recommended the mk17 and the g260 seems like some reliable reg

Back
Top Bottom