which mask has the widest view angle ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floater

Reaction score
Dear Divers,

I have not taken a dive yet. My target is to go diving the first time this April in the Red Sea, maybe in Sinai (Sharm El Sheik) where I have stayed before. During the vacation I want to do as much snorcheling as possible (less expensive :wink:). Now, I would love to buy my first high end diving mask. Although I'm pretty well techically oriented, I have to admit I really have no clue about the diving gear world and wasn't that lucky with www.google.com to find something of my interest, about what is really the ultimate diving mask in terms of viewing angle. The mask doesn't have to be deep dive secure, just regular diving, so I can still use it in a couple of years (depending on how long such a mask stays good). If a better snorcheling mask is available, say with a giant glass, or a bend or folded glass or whatever, then I would buy that one. I cab buy a separate regular diving mask later on anyway. I really want that "super panorama view" when snorcheling (and diving if possible) of the riff. Thanks for any hints and tips. I have looked at Cressi and Mares, but didn't feel they have real panorama style masks I'm dreaming about ? But maybe what they have is all there is ? I assume it has to be a single glass mask ? Thanks again.

Unfortunately, a practical wide view mask has illuded me also. For a snorkel diver, "practical" means low displacement as well as wide view and good seal.

In the 1960's, USD made a large, wide view mask with warped glass, the "panorama". The lense was single pane and looked like a car windshield from that era. Since the curved glass formed multi planes, and distorted vision at the corners, the mask was dropped and replaced with a three pane, double plane model. This also fell out of favor although smaller versions can be found today. Both USD masks had large displacement and were for SCUBA divers only.

At the same time, Scubapro produced the "maxi vision" which was a single pane with exceptional view and medium displacement. This was replaced by the low displacement "close up", a double pane, single plane mask which had the widest view of any at that time. This mask was discontinued in the mid 80's.

Currently, I know of no mask which has the breadth of vision with low displacement allowed by the "close up". However, the freediver masks such as those produced by Scubapro, Apollo and Ocean Reef allow fairly wide vision with very low displacement. The SP and Apollo are single pane frameless, the Reef is a double pane.

Hi Dev,

thanks for the info. I looked up today some of the brands I missed so far and I picked up in here, like Sea Vision (got no access to their masks, maybe too much traffic), Tusa, Scubapro and US Diver (Aqua Lung). Found some interesting remarks, which might at least help me too make a final decision, unless someone mentiones the ultimate panorama mask.

Some remarks on the optical distortions. Of course distortions will happen due to the different light breaking index over the (bend) glass plane, if that is the correct way to call it. However, I prefer a wider scope with a little distorted (or "not so correct") view, instead of a "in the box view", because the human vision is also not perfect to the extreme sides. The goal is as well not to only see sharp, but in the first place to see "more".

I come from the home theater hobby world. There, as in real cinemas, bigger screens help to involve one much better into the movie (also here we talk about the angle of vision). That's the reason we enjoy in some new cinemas such huge screens. Of course the quality suffers as blowing up a certain amount of information (35mm film) doesn't help the quality. Going bejond a certain picture dimension starts to deteriorate the picture quality pretty bad. But one at least sort of get's fully involved in the scene.

That same viewing angle is what I'm looking for in the mask. Now I found as said some good remarks. One was I think at Scubapro ? It was mentioned that one mask was having a small volume, so the glass is sitting pretty close to the eyes increasing the angle of vision. Of course, it's like sitting closer to a small screen. The picture get's bigger then as well.

So an alternative could be a big regular diving mask with a very close distance to the eyes, as close as technically possible and still asuring a comfortable fit. I found that Frameless type pretty nice as a regular diving mask (don't want to see the price tag :wink:).

There was one mask I saw over at Us Diver I believe, forgot the name. It looked a bit like a mask with a folded glass, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Anybody else with a good unit with the ultimate viewing angle ?

Are there also some glasses better than other in terms of pure glass quality or do they all buy the same OEM :wink: ?

For snorkeling, you particularly want a black (or opaque) skirt and NO side windows. If sunlight is allowed to enter from the sides it will reflect off the faceplate and reduce visibility.

I generally use a ScubaPro Frameless mask, which combines a wide field of view with lower volume. It is also sold under another brand name at a lower price, but I don't remember which one. Oceanic also has a newer frameless mask that seems very nice. These masks work well for normal snorkeling and freediving. Make sure they fit, the narrow skirts won't fit all faces.

The freediving masks are very good, Cressisub Super Ochio (My wife and I use the Super Ochio), Sporosub Samurai, Omer Abyss, (these three are virtually identical) and Mares. These have very low volumes, fit a wider range of faces, and (at least for me) stick like glue. Their smaller size does limit the field of view a little bit. I would use mine for deeper freediving and in strong currents or other situations where I want to minimize the risk of having the mask knocked off. For snorkeling (and 95% of my diving) I would use the ScubaPro Frameless mask.

Ralph

"Sea Vision" specializes in mask exotic lenses. Their flagship product is a pink tinted glass which is advertised as having color correction features. Evidently, this works well in shallow to medium depths. When I dealt with them some 8 years ago they were doing custom work such as supplying your preferred mask with their lenses. I don't know if they still do this.

You might like these guys http://www.hydrooptix.com/index2.htm

I've never heard of anyone using these masks, the prices may have something to do with it :), but maybe they're what you're looking for. Note I'm not recommending this option, just letting you know about it. A review from a user would be interesting.

Ralph

Sorry guys, couldn't thank you earlier for the replies, as my user in this forum was (maybe still is) corrupted and I couldn't post. I kept falling back into the loggin screen, hmmmm. Seems fixed now. So, thanks.

Ralph,
I looked at the hydro-optic masks, pretty current stuff. I always wanted to look like an ant under water :wink:. No seriously, I will probably have a hard time to find a dealer in the city where I live here over in Germany who has one to try out. So in order to also save some money I'm still going for the SP Frameless, but see the point in the Cressi Big Eyes as well, with larger vertical field of vision. Also pretty cheap when compared. However, I have quite a big nose and have to see how those low volume masks work out.

"We" booked our next trip to the Red Sea, not to SHARM EL SHEIK like last time, but due to the available flight days to SAFAGA. So I have 5 more weeks to decide on the mask :confused:. Then it's time for the first dive. Hope my cold is gone to 100% until then.

Thought about buying a complete SP set, with the Framless and the high tech fins from them, those cool looking ones :wink:. Boy, are these expensive compared to the mask. Ouch...

The Big Eyes is good for looking downward at your gauges and stuff when scuba diving. The frameless has a better field of view in the forward direction (you need to bend your neck less) and would be a better choice for snorkeling.

My nose is large as well and I route the strap on most masks (including the frameless) straight back over my ears. I usually wear a lycra hood in the warm water. When I position the strap on the back of my head, the more normal position, my nose will be sore by the end of the dive.

Be sure to try out a mask before you buy.

Ralph

Oh -- when I read through the Hydro Optics web page they aren't shipping yet. Their site has been up for well over a year.

Just to let you guys know how I "ended"...

So there I was with that money card full of credit standing in a dive center in the city where I live ready to buy two masks with my girlfriend. They did have them all. So from now on you can call me instaed of floater "big headed sea turtle".

Boy, none of the above fit my face correctly. The inner lip is supposed to go behind the eyes as much as possible, so that when the first outer lip fails, the second inner one will still asure no water leaking in. Here most masks failed to fit my potatoe head ;-). I ended up with a TUSA X-Ten, about which I have no clue about. Probably just a regulur mid-quality mask ? Anyway. My girlfriend said in one tour "this one fits, and this one as well, I could also take this one". And I really put around 25 masks on my face to find 1 and a half that fit good. Oh wow.

So instead of the Cressi Big Eyes, she decided for a "Seemann Sub - Champ" in full transparent color with a second glass seamlessly glued to each side for an extra wide view. What a cool mask. Now I envy her big time.

One day I find that big panorama mask that also fits a whale's face and then you'll see who is ....

Andreas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom