Which Mask Are You Using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a couple inexpensive black Deep See Adventurer 2 masks with drop- in prescription lenses for my primary. It fits well & is very low volume. My back- ups are 2 black Scubapro Scout masks with regular lenses. They don't fit quite as well,.. but are manageable. They are extremely low volume & fold up nicely, in my drysuit pockets.

Got mine from DGX. One of their brand ones, was very good price and seals really well. Never have had an issue with it.

I use a ScubaPro Frameless and Hollis M1 when a low(er) volume mask is appropriate. I also have a stash of old style US Divers wraparound masks (heavy, steel frame, three panel design) because this mask style fits my face better than any other mask I have tried to date. I have 4 of them new in the box because I fear Aqualung may stop manufacturing them one day.

When it comes to visibility nothing get close to a single glass, brand doesn't matter, and every diver knows how to test the sealing of the mask on their face.

I have as my main mask TUSA Vision Pro. outstanding, single glass, small volume mask, and my backup is as well single glass, lover volume,brand " El cheapo "

I have to disagree completely with your assertion that a single pane of glass is going to give you the best visibility. If by visibility you mean unrestricted peripheral (side to side and up and down visibility) then there are other design(s) which are better.

Unrestricted visibility is provided by placing the glass as close as possible to your eyes. This seems to be an irrefutable fact of geometry and physics. I have found that a very low volume freedive mask (with separate panes of glass for each eye) brings the glass right up to my eyes and allows essentially zero restriction. The two pane design allows a nose pocket to be placed between the two panes of glass.

If you have not tried one of these super low volume masks - then you should.

I have to disagree completely with your assertion that a single pane of glass is going to give you the best visibility. If by visibility you mean unrestricted peripheral (side to side and up and down visibility) then there are other design(s) which are better.

Unrestricted visibility is provided by placing the glass as close as possible to your eyes. This seems to be an irrefutable fact of geometry and physics. I have found that a very low volume freedive mask (with separate panes of glass for each eye) brings the glass right up to my eyes and allows essentially zero restriction. The two pane design allows a nose pocket to be placed between the two panes of glass.

What brands/models do you recommend??

I have tried them, not for my face, what works for you doesn't work for everybody, my eyes are deep in my face, so it is very annoying in the visibility for me to see a piece of plastic between the eyes.

It is quite possible that a particular mask does not fit you, but I would be surprised that facial anatomy would vary to such a large degree to change visibility. Maybe so, but I can tell you with confidence that the glass in these super low volume masks is as close as possible to my eyes.

I've used Cressi 'Big Eyes' since they were first released. I bought 4 of them and they've lasted until now. I've always liked that the lens is marginally sloped, which gives a great field of view downwards on the torso.

I'm due a new mask, for the first time in many years, soon.... I'm thinking to try a Hollis M1 next. I borrowed one the other year and I was impressed with it.

The mask is your window to the underwater world. It should be comfortable on your face, have a low internal volume, provide a good field of vision and fit properly. Choose and use whatever fits these criteria.

Single or double lens design is purely a personal preference. I used to in the former category, until I discovered the Aqua Lung Micro Mask. Haven't gone back to single lens or any other mask. Both my primary and back-up mask are Aqua Lung Micro Masks.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom