Which Mask Are You Using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a popular one.

Aqua Lung Micro-Mask Two Window Mask

I personally use this one.

Minimus

Today I was diving Nemo 33 and I saw this mask in the store, just to check if maybe this one is some different as you mention but, it is not, still can see that shadow between my eyes, not a big deal, but it is there, and this mask doesn't fit my forehead where my eyebrows are, they had as well the SP, single front glass with peripheral side glasses, now you are taking about range of vision this one have it.

Scuba Pro Crystal VU-Plus Mask

It looked similar to that one, but it was black rubber and the side glasses maybe are a little wider.

Is there a big difference between the Atomic Frameless and the SP version? I have always used the SP Frameless (for about 20 years now I think) but never tried the Atomic one.

I have both. The SP Frameless sits in my drysuit pocket as backup and from time to time I switch it underwater, for practice. There is a significant difference in vertical field of view (with Atomic I can see my SPG without lowering the head, just by looking down). Same for the up direction, but the biggest difference is when looking down. The lateral field of view is almost the same, probably a little bit smaller on SP, but not significant.

Is there a big difference between the Atomic Frameless and the SP version? I have always used the SP Frameless (for about 20 years now I think) but never tried the Atomic one.

Burhan, yes they are rather different. The Atomic sits closer to the face and has an overall wider FOV as a result. Nonetheless, I still enjoy the SP Frameless, a little more traditional and techie looking and certainly has an excellent FOV. I think the Atomic is a little softer in the skirt feathers and probably more forgiving of facial irregularities.

I am lucky apparently in that I am able to use a wide variety of masks with no issues.

N

I have a universal head. I've only tried one mask that I couldn't use (can't remember the brand…it was generic) The bridge of my nose hit the frame. I would notice as it compressed while descending.

Scuba doesn't matter. Free diving has to be low volume.

I just picked up an Atomic frameless. Had a Scubapro split lens , but after multiple dives in a day, I had a lot of pressure from the frame.

The frameless has super soft silicone that deals even with some facial hair. Viability is amazing, since the mask is low volume, glass is close to the face.

But to reiterate what everyone else has already said. Fit is the only thing that really matters. Brand and price should be towards the bottom of the list.

I like my Scubapro Crystal Vu mask. It's side window offers the widest angle view (almost 180'c). I also have Hollis M1 mask -- it's lens is nearer to the face and therefore also gives very wide angle view (and less water volume).

But my favorite would be any oval/classic mask. I've used three so far (different brands), but I found that their cheek skirts would always leak water easily. And their nose pocket is too small that it hurts to pinch my nose after awhile.

The Japanese brand GULL offers "UV" protection masks, but I just dont get this. They also have shades like sun glasses. Very pricey and overkill in spec, IMO.

Last edited:
Used to dive religiously with a Dive Rite 125, loved the heck out of that mask for a long time...until I started diving my rebreather and the T pieces on my loop would just so slightly push the frame of the mask when I turned my face. Ended up with trickle leaks and a bunch of blown Dil. Got sick of that pretty quick so on a whim I ordered an Atomic Sub-Frame in medium fit. A little more than I would have liked to spend (mask retails for over $100) but so worth every penny! It fits, feels VERY comfortable, has a variety of colors, and has options for corrective lenses and readers (not that I needed that yet...but I might in the future.) I firmly believe that a mask is one of the MOST important pieces of diving gear. It can make or break a dive for me. I'm certainly willing to spend a bit more to get a mask that fits and works. Masks are my version of shoes (have a serious mask fetish going on...I own about 7 or 8 different ones) but my Atomic is my favorite.

Atomic frameless (which I found 3 years ago and fit as a glove)
Hollis M1 (backup)

OMS Frameless two-lens, with black skirt. Comfy. The stock strap is made of textured silicone, so it doesn't catch on my hair.

OTS Guardian FFM with DGX Ultra View in my pocket for work.
DGX Ultra View with Atomic Frameless 2 in my pocket for play.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom