Which LENS(es) would be good for DSLR Zoom or Fixed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
There is not a zoom out that will touch a fixed focus lens for quality, but the zoom doe's give a lot of flexibility. Unless you plan on some really big prints IMO zoom would be the way to go.

Can't say I would agree with this. Macro lenses tend to be some of the best glass made. You can check out photodo to see some lens comparisons, but zooms like the Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 rate far better then a lot of fixed lenses from both the Manufactures, and third party as well.

For example Nikon 28mm f1.4D, rated at a very excellent 3.7 is below the outstanding 17-35mmf2.8 rated at 4.2.

I do agree however that in the end, if you get reasonably good glass, the difference between excellent and class winning performance is not going to be visable in most prints.

Ironically one of Nikon's best lenses is the 50mm f1.8 (4.4 rating), and it's their least expensive lens.

howarde:
Thanks for the input so far.

It never occurred to me about the dome port, with the WA, and the disparity with the Macro. I think I'll reconsider my original choice.

Howarde, I'll have the D200 UW in FL. The lenses I am getting ports for are as follows:

12-24mmf4 (Dome)
18-35mmf3.5 (Shares the dome port that the 12-24 uses).
60mm macro (flat port, and inexpensive relatively speaking).

I would have gone with my 17.35mmf2.8, but unfortunately the ports are not quite the same, and I'm running out of $$$!

The problem with DSLR's is that they are not do it all camera's when it comes to lenses (or at least not UW). You will need to decide what lens you want to dive with before any given dive. this is why top pro's often carry two or three complete setups, and have their minions hand them off the camera of choice depending on what they are seeing.

As others have suggested, get a close focusing wide zoom as if the lens will not focus at 12" or less, then you have to add diopters.

I went with the 60mm macro because while I see awesome shots from the 105mm UW, and one can stay farther away from critters, as it's really a 157.5mm with the sensor factor, WA shots are not really possible. I'm HOPING the 60mm will be a bit more versitile as a more general all around lens for macro shooting as well as fish shots at a bit of a distance.

Ron. I'm still trying to decide.

I believe that I may have an opportunity to demo a D200 this weekend (I'll be in FL)

After talking to several people, I understand that the D200 is superior to the 20D's ability to focus in low light, and that it's AF is faster than the 20D as well. This is pretty darn important UW.

I still have to decide.

howarde:
Ron. I'm still trying to decide.

I believe that I may have an opportunity to demo a D200 this weekend (I'll be in FL)

After talking to several people, I understand that the D200 is superior to the 20D's ability to focus in low light, and that it's AF is faster than the 20D as well. This is pretty darn important UW.

I still have to decide.

Yeah, the D200 build quality, and state of the art focus technology rivals the D2x, and some feel is better in a couple areas.

I love my D200 so far. The focus however is one of the things that is taking me some time to get used to. The damn thing has so many focus modes (4x2x2 not including manual), I'm still trying to figure out what works best in some situations.

I'd highly recommend the D200, IMO the best DSLR on the market under 2K. I reserved the housing from Reef yesterday. We arrive on the 28th, and I'll have this MONSTER of a camera when diving! :D I think it's going to take a bit of getting used to! :D To add insult to injury, I have the SS200 for now (want the DS-125), and that thing is the size of an AirCraftCarrier!

RonFrank:
Yeah, the D200 build quality, and state of the art focus technology rivals the D2x, and some feel is better in a couple areas.

I love my D200 so far. The focus however is one of the things that is taking me some time to get used to. The damn thing has so many focus modes (4x2x2 not including manual), I'm still trying to figure out what works best in some situations.

I'd highly recommend the D200, IMO the best DSLR on the market under 2K. I reserved the housing from Reef yesterday. We arrive on the 28th, and I'll have this MONSTER of a camera when diving! :D I think it's going to take a bit of getting used to! :D To add insult to injury, I have the SS200 for now (want the DS-125), and that thing is the size of an AirCraftCarrier!
Yeah... Reef (Ryan) is going to let me play with one :wink:

His store is a few blocks from my Florida pad.

Back
Top Bottom