Which LENS(es) would be good for DSLR Zoom or Fixed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm leaning towards a Canon EOS 20D for my DSLR body. I already own 1 DS-125 strobe, so adding a second would be my preference for that...

I have (had) another thread where I asked which one to get. Many people suggested fixed lenses like a 50mm or 60mm and some suggested 17mm or wider.

My question is... why NOT a zoom lens? Is there a reason why (other than too much to deal with)?

My original thoughts for lenses were the EF-S 17-85mm or the EF-S 18-55mm (inexpensive) - to start off.

howarde:
My question is... why NOT a zoom lens? Is there a reason why (other than too much to deal with)?

I use a wide angle(17-35) zoom all the time with my dome port(Nikon/L&M). Personally, I think a zoom is a great option that offers added flexibility. However, keep in mind you do need to find out if there is a zoom gear available for your particular housing and lens combination. Obviously, there's no point in bring a zoom underwater if you can't change focal lengths.

That said, the choices you're looking at seem like they might be problematic. Is there a port that would allow you to take full advantage of the full 17-85mm range? At 17mm you're better off with a dome port. At 85mm you're talking macro.

It really depends on what you want to shoot. I shoot wrecks in the Great Lakes, ie. limited viz, so I'm using Canon's 10-22mm. If I wanted to shoot macro I'd use a 50mm or 100mm macro. I did choose a wide zoom over a fixed wide so I'd have a little flexibility to shoot tighter.

Remember to take into account the 1.6 mag/crop factor on the Canon as well.

In my experience its best to start with fixed focal distance lens.
In the wide field, go as wide as possible (wild wide!!!)
In the macro mode, go for something as a 100mm, but be sure it goes to 1:1.
Then after that you can play with the mid-zooms for some specific purpose, for instance:
I have long used a 16mm/2.6 fisheye (180 degrees of coverage) and a 105mm/2.8 macro for macro work... then I've added the Sigma 8mm/4 and I need something of a 24-85mm (film) or a 18-35mm (digital) for some specific work inside a know deep wreck aroud here.

Zooms offer some flexibility. Look for minimum focus distance. Choose a lens that suits what you like to shoot. The 10-20 or 10-22 are pretty "standard" kit nowadays it seems.

The new sigma 17-70 macro has impressive stats on close focus...some of the images I've seen are incredible. This might make a good all around lens. I think I said this already, but a friend just ordered one so should be putting it through it's paces over the next month or so. Could be an interesting lens for underwater.

The reason that so many suggest the fixed macros is that they are superb pieces of glass and nothing does what they do as well. There are also some excellent choices for dedicated WA lenses...but most seem to like the 10-20/22 lens.

Some say it is easier to learn lighting and technique etc if you only use a fixed focus lens...not sure i agree with that...my theory is you dance with who brung ya. and just because it zooms doesn't mean you have to!

The 60 (or 50) macro is pretty flexible. You can shoot tiny stuff and get good fish portraits and even divers to some extent. Add Woody and you've got a great place to start.

alcina:
Zooms offer some flexibility. Look for minimum focus distance. Choose a lens that suits what you like to shoot. The 10-20 or 10-22 are pretty "standard" kit nowadays it seems.

The new sigma 17-70 macro has impressive stats on close focus...some of the images I've seen are incredible. This might make a good all around lens. I think I said this already, but a friend just ordered one so should be putting it through it's paces over the next month or so. Could be an interesting lens for underwater.

The reason that so many suggest the fixed macros is that they are superb pieces of glass and nothing does what they do as well. There are also some excellent choices for dedicated WA lenses...but most seem to like the 10-20/22 lens.

Some say it is easier to learn lighting and technique etc if you only use a fixed focus lens...not sure i agree with that...my theory is you dance with who brung ya. and just because it zooms doesn't mean you have to!

The 60 (or 50) macro is pretty flexible. You can shoot tiny stuff and get good fish portraits and even divers to some extent. Add Woody and you've got a great place to start.

There is not a zoom out that will touch a fixed focus lens for quality, but the zoom doe's give a lot of flexibility. Unless you plan on some really big prints IMO zoom would be the way to go.

I am not quite sure how useful the 17-70mm macro would be, especially at wide angle end. If you are at 17mm end, you will definitely need a domeport which mean that you will lose some benefit of flat port magnification at 70mm end. I suppose shooting macro at 17-30mm end may be useful for larger subject in poor viz as you can get really close but lighting a large subject up close is not exactly easy either. I think a fixed 50mm macro or 60mm macro would do similar job easily and easier. I think zoom macro is more useful at longer end like the Nikkor 70-180mm myself.
I think it would be more of a competitor of Nikkor 17-55mm dx and definitely more useful than Nikkor 18-70mm, looking at the spec. Although it will focus a bit closer than 17-55mm, I think it will be useful mostly just for fish portrait type picture rather than the nudi and tiny critter. Reproduction ratio of 1:2.3 is not all that great for all the tiny critters.

Thanks for the input so far.

It never occurred to me about the dome port, with the WA, and the disparity with the Macro. I think I'll reconsider my original choice.

ssra30:
I am not quite sure how useful the 17-70mm macro would be, especially at wide angle end.

Although I do prefer fixed lenses, the macro ability (specially if you are able to use macro throughout the whole zoom range) is very nice for using it inside a dome without the close-up filter!

Best,

100mm for Macro and a 10-22mm for WA. Those are the two I use howarde and they seem to work well.

Back
Top Bottom