which knot is used to make a loop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I see a couple of old threads, but didn't find a definitive answer as to what knot to use to make a loop at the end of the line coming off the reel. My first inclination is the bowline, which is still embedded in my memory from Boy Scout days. However, I took a look at a reel that already had such a loop provided by the manufacturer (Halcyon), and I could see it is not a bowline.

A link to that animated knot-tying site would be ideal.

I usually do a figure eight to form a big loop and then tie an overhand knot at the very end to make a smaller loop. Let me see if I can find a picture...

upload_2017-2-24_11-23-30.png

...//... I took a look at a reel that already had such a loop provided by the manufacturer (Halcyon), and I could see it is not a bowline. ...
Any chance of going back and taking a pic of both sides of the knot? (loop lying flat)

I'm curious as to what the blue H people bless.

Any chance of going back and taking a pic of both sides of the knot? (loop lying flat)

I'm curious as to what the blue H people bless.

Eh, I already undid the knot. The project is to add a plastic ball at the end of the loop.

I'm leaning toward the Perfection Loop or the Water Bowline.

Funny on several levels.

Maybe one's first "H" purchase should come with a corporate audio clip of the final line of Casablanca. But then again, they are intimately tied to a not-for-profit organization...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom