Which ISO setting do you use for UW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darnold9999:
Thanks howarde - my intuition tells me that they should be very similar - i.e. boosting post production (photoshop) and a higher ISO as they are both working with the same result from the CCD device. The difference would be that the enhancement done prior to digitizing might be better because it works with the signal pre digitizing and is "camera specific" i.e designed to work with that CCD in that camera. I suspect the difference is marginal either way so will use whichever is more convenient at the time.

Thats they way I see it as well. I would even say the grain looks more natural(filmlike) in the ISO400 shot than in the boosted ISO100 shot, although, just barely noticable.

Great job on the comparison Howarde, its nice to see them all compared next to each other. I still stand by the fact that noise at all levels used in your comparison would easily be printable in any reasonable size. Noise reduction software could even be applied, typically at the price of some fine detail.

howarde:
You can't change DOF in photoshop.
Just an aside. :)

I used to work in the tech dept. at a large Hollywood ad agency, specializing in advertising for the entertainment industry. (Movie posters and the like). The often did EXTREMELY high-res work, for movie posters, theatre standees, bus shelters, and billboards.

And I can assure you, DOF CAN be changed in photoshop, by those gifted PS wizards. Ok, technically, the changed DOF is being faked, but in the hands of the pros, I guarantee you would not be able to tell the difference, even standing close up to a bus-shelter-sized poster.

That said, it's probably FAR more work than most people would want to put into one picture... and FAR beyond the talents of the average photographer, or even most pro photographers.

Just an aside to that... not that its relative to this conversation at this point either.

There was some university or something that created a camera that had a camera that you could adjust focus point and DOF. Prototype, of course, and I don't remember how it was done... I'll try to find a link.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Just an aside to that... not that its relative to this conversation at this point either.

There was some university or something that created a camera that had a camera that you could adjust focus point and DOF. Prototype, of course, and I don't remember how it was done... I'll try to find a link.

I vaguely recall that suprbugman, saw an article about it in the nytimes I think.......
Very cutting edge sort of stuff.....

Yeah, I tried a google search, but didn't come up with anything off the bat. I'm at work, so can't put too much time into it. Very cool article, but nowhere near ready for production and mainstream I think.

Jam - you change avatars more than anyone else, I think :D LOL

I dove yesterday and somehow managed to get a snake inside my van. It slithered over my feet while I was driving home and scared the bajesus out of me... Sorry, no pics!

This little guy could have easily been a mocassin or copperhead, I was too busy screaming like a little girl to tell. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom