Which Island do you prefer- Big Island or Maui for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heymo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hell All!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in February. Have dove the Big Island and a few times, and were considering a change of pace and diving Maui. My question is- has anyone been to both islands to dive, and which do you prefer? We are both advanced divers and dive a few times a year. Not crazy about big cattle boats, prefer no more than 12 divers...

Anyone have strong opinions for or against Maui?

Thanks!

Beth

We like the big island for the nice reefs, lava tubes, and shore dives going back there at the end of February with Gabe @ Kaimana Divers can't wait. But have dove maui a few times and going back there this summer a couple of times. Maui is our pick if you have been to the big island a lot, might as well change it up.

Thanks for your input. We've been the BI 3 times, it's where I got certified! Seems to be a bit more money to dive Maui, and I am concerned about cattle boats. (Snorkelled there before I was certified...vowed NEVER agan!)

Have a great time on your trip!

Have dove both Islands a number of times. Both are good. As we are returning to the Big Island for 3 weeks in March, I would have to say I prefer the Big Island.

Maui's appeal to us is it's beaches, particularly in the southern part of the Island. The aquarium is very good and is a good place to be underwater with a tiger shark without a wetsuit malfunction. Molikini is a fun dive, but only so many times. Most of the dive ops offer some sort of 2 tank, one in Molokini, then another site, depending on which harbour you depart from. The charters also start quite early to beat the afternoon winds and resulting choppy water. Sun rise in Molokini Crater should be seen at least once, but it does cut into ones evening activities. If the whales are there, it is very cool to listen to them throughout your dive and watch for them during your surface interval.

I really like diving the Big Island for it's variety, laid back attitude, as well as it's topside attractions. I'd rather watch lava flowing into the ocean than go to the mall in Lahaina or Kehei...but then again, that's just me.

Whichever Island you choose, have fun!

Cheers!

Many thanks! We like the BI as well- know all the good spots for cheap-but-tasty eats, the beer at he brew pub and the dive operator we have used goes out with 6 pack boats. And of course you can't beat the manta and black water dives!

We haven't been to Maui since 1999...before I was certified. The appeal of Maui for me would be the whales, the photography at Haleakala the rainforest area. The appeal of the BI is the volcano, the diving and I guess to some extent the familiarity. It's the blessing and the curse I guess!

Have dove both Islands a number of times. Both are good. As we are returning to the Big Island for 3 weeks in March, I would have to say I prefer the Big Island.

Maui's appeal to us is it's beaches, particularly in the southern part of the Island. The aquarium is very good and is a good place to be underwater with a tiger shark without a wetsuit malfunction. Molikini is a fun dive, but only so many times. Most of the dive ops offer some sort of 2 tank, one in Molokini, then another site, depending on which harbour you depart from. The charters also start quite early to beat the afternoon winds and resulting choppy water. Sun rise in Molokini Crater should be seen at least once, but it does cut into ones evening activities. If the whales are there, it is very cool to listen to them throughout your dive and watch for them during your surface interval.

I really like diving the Big Island for it's variety, laid back attitude, as well as it's topside attractions. I'd rather watch lava flowing into the ocean than go to the mall in Lahaina or Kehei...but then again, that's just me.

Whichever Island you choose, have fun!

Cheers!

EXACTLY as stated above. I have dove both and will be going to the BI again in two weeks.

I think Molokini (the inside crater) is over rated, so is the Cartheginian (ok if you like looking at tires and concrete)! The ease of shore diving and going over to Lanai are IMO the high points of Maui, at least at my level of recreational diving. I can't pin point it, but just like the pace of diving the BI better.

The big Island has some nice beach diving and if you want to see the Mantas at night this is a good place.

Maui has some nice diving off the island at Molokai and Lanai.

Best regards
Chett L

so is the Cartheginian (ok if you like looking at tires and concrete)!

:no: There are no tires or concrete at the Carthaginian! :shakehead:

The beach diving at Maui cannot be overlooked. In my opinion, there's a LOT of beach diving to be had (just ask Shaka Doug!)

But, ain't it cool to have to worry about which one is better? Heck do a week and a half at BOTH! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom