• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Which is more disturbing.......

Discussion in 'Underwater Treasures' started by Chatterton, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Chatterton

Chatterton Tech Instructor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Okay, I am struggling with this one. I am not sure which is more disturbing, a criminal mastermind wreck diver who believes it is okay to loot protected shipwrecks and then gets caught by the the TSA.......... or a genius who thinks it is okay to put old ordinance in his checked luggage and then get on the plane???? Either way, I am sure the people who were evacuated now think very highly of divers. :)

davetowz and beaverdivers like this.
  2. beaverdivers

beaverdivers ScubaBoard Business Sponsor ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

Both, got any Spanish coins to toss up to decide.

3. Gilldiver

Gilldiver Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    John, and you never saw 3" shells pulled out of the San Diego and get the war hear hammered off on the back of the boat - all the while smelling the ether from the cordite off gassing ...........

Thalassamania likes this.
  4. Ste Wart

Ste Wart Master Instructor

# of Dives:
    I'm impressed he managed to stay within his baggage weight limit.

AfterDark, aj555, Rhone Man and 2 others like this.
  5. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board Staff Member

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Did they figure out which wreck it came off of?

But yeah, people simply don't respect antique ordnance. I am reminded of the "last casualty" of the civil war. This guy blew himself up while polishing an explosive round. Most people think that they can get away with mostly because they haven't thought everything through first.

6. Wookie

Wookie Curmudgeon Apprentice ScubaBoard Business Sponsor ScubaBoard Supporter

I'd bet it came from Biscayne National Park. You know the place, the one marked on the charts that says "don't go here". Kind of like placing a bar zone in a foreign country off limits and telling the sailors "don't go here".

7. Capt Scotty

Capt Scotty Dive Charter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    lol....As I watched this on the news the other morning it brought back memories of the destruction of a friends garage who was a legal treasure hunter. He had a cannon ball explode and wipe out a rack of shelving and made one heck of a mess of some other stuff...

8. ianr33

ianr33 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    How does a cannon ball explode? It's just a lump of metal.Or am I missing something?

Round shot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's wrong with putting old local laws on a plane?

9. Wookie

Wookie Curmudgeon Apprentice ScubaBoard Business Sponsor ScubaBoard Supporter

It's only low pressure steel cannonballs that explode when somebody plugs off the burst disc port... :D

10. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board Staff Member

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Not all cannon balls are solid shot: some are shells filled with explosives. Unless the diver knows how to tell the difference, he should treat it as explosive. i am not sure that I could tell the difference, especially if it was encrusted. It seems that there were a lot of assumptions made and I still wonder where it came from. Read the article I cited for how the fun ended for a civil war buff who buffed one too many times on what he thought was solid shot. Here's a list of projectiles that a cannon can fire: List of cannon projectiles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ianr33 likes this.