which is better Lp or HP steel's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
this is something I just done understand !!!
hear is why , one shop says buy Lp tanks another shop says buy HP steel tanks , my self i dive DIN so why wouldnt I want HP steel tanks ,
I am looking at like the HP 100's but thinking about the new tanks I am hearing too ,

PST's new series may be the tanks for you. You get both an LP and HP tank in one. They're rated at nearly 3,500 PSI (3440, I think), but can of course be filled to lower pressures as well. The stock valve is a DIN with a built-in seamless yoke adapter. Best of both worlds. The E-series 100, for instance, is the same size as the previous generation LP-80, but holds 25% more air at the higher pressure. If you're restricted to diving with a yoke regulator, it'll still hold somewhere between 80 and a 100 cuft at 3000 psi. The other good thing about the E-series is that the tank valve threads have finally been standardized. Older PST HP tanks had a unique thread size that made obtaining suitable tank valves and manifolds much more of a headache.

On the other hand, older generation PST tanks can now be had for peanuts. One local LDS is selling brand new PST LP80s for <$200.

-Roman.

Better is a very subjective thing.

One fact though.
You can usually get a LP overfilled but you will rarely get even a 100% fill in a HP tank.

A LP104 with 3000 pounds (very common) has more air than a HP120 that cools down to 3200-3300 by time you get it home.

Also check the other thread just started over 7.25 in vs 8in tanks.

Then again I have my own compressor :)

3442 they be rated, 3442 they be filled to.

In reply to Roman's post:

The new PST cylinders (E-series) are filled to 3442. It doesnt matter if you use the 200 bar DIN or yoke. If you have a yoke regulator that is service rated for the pressure (which most are nowadays), you can still get it filled to 3442.

PST is still making the LP-80, and it has always been cheaper than the others. Also, PST just had a big sale on them... It is one of their most popular cylinders...

Oh, and the valve is a yoke with a DIN insert.

It looks like a Thermo internally and externally.

But the seat is different than the usual Thermo; it gives a very nice "slow" on/off feel. They're one of the nicest valves I've ever had the pleasure of using.

The valve is made by Thermo. Its a new design... They are definitely a sweet valve...

I never thought I would say this: I love the E-series tanks!!!

You've got me quite confused with this statement:

A LP104 with 3000 pounds (very common) has more air than a HP120 that cools down to 3200-3300 by time you get it home.

How could an LP104 at 3000 psu have more air than a HP120 at 3200-3300 psi? I will admit that psychics was my worst subject but this doesn't seem to make sense.

I dive HP120's or HP100's all the time.

Dr. Bill

a HP120 has 120cf at 3500 psi but only 113cf at 3300 psi.

a LP104 has 104cf at 2640 psi but 118cf at 3000 psi.

knows how bad I was at physics! Thanks for the explanation. Boyles Law hadn't been discovered when I was certified (at least I can't remember it, but that was the 60's)!

Dr. Bill

Back
Top Bottom