Which is a good SM snorkel (foldable)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why do you need a snorkel while sidemount diving? Snorkels are useful for snorkeling, and if you have extended surface swims and can't/don't want to do them on your back. Since sidemount is REALLY annoying to do surface swims in, there shouldn't be a reason to carry a snorkel while sidemount diving. If you have to do surface swims that would require use of a snorkel, use backmount.

In either case, a foldable snorkel is not a really useful tool imho, so carry a cheap simple J snorkel which works just fine, and deal with the annoying form factor if you need to carry it

Wtf? We have officially hit the low point in the evolution of side mount from a tool to get through tight passages to a mainstream fad.

Wtf? We have officially hit the low point in the evolution of side mount from a tool to get through tight passages to a mainstream fad.

Every tool has its purpose.

This one would be to knock off his mask while getting through said tight passages.

Why would he want to do that? The world is full of mysteries.

I also like to bring along a snorkel (although I'm not a side mount diver), and I've had occasion to use it more than once. It helped me wait comfortably on the surface-nearly out of air-in Cozumel, waiting for the the boat pick up.
I've rigged a snorkel hanging off the bottom of my back plate (the nylon Transpac XT plate) threaded through two bungee loops. It doesn't need to be foldable, but the Cressi Corsica snorkel I use is very flexible and can be bent/folded and stuffed into an accessory pocket. The Oceanic pocket snorkel is very foldable, but doesn't work as well in my application because the corrugations on the snorkel hang up on the bungee loops when I try to pull it out. It also costs twice as much as the Cressi Corsica. In between the two in price is the Aqualung Nautilus Roll up snorkel. I don't have any experience with this snorkel, but it has received some good reviews.

I've got a Technisub (Aqualung sister-brand) flexible silicone snorkel that looks identical to the Aqualung Nautilus. I carry it bent in a U-shape in the bottom of my gear pouch -- it takes up little room and weighs next-to-nothing. (It's there chiefly so I can say, "yes, I have a snorkel.") It's good for actual snorkeling, but it's a little too short for me, diving back-mount. Haven't tried it out with the sidemount gear yet; I'll have to make a point of that, next dive.

When you are side-mounting with 2nd stages which are left-fed on the left, and right-fed on the right, do you need a bidirectional snorkel so it too can be used on either side? Does it switch from side-to-side as the regs get switched? Having a little problem visualizing the proper snorkel use.

When you are side-mounting with 2nd stages which are left-fed on the left, and right-fed on the right, do you need a bidirectional snorkel so it too can be used on either side? Does it switch from side-to-side as the regs get switched? Having a little problem visualizing the proper snorkel use.
I don't know about that; both my regs are right-fed. I don't pull it out of my pocket till I'm back up on the surface, with my right-tank reg clipped off and my left-tank reg hanging from its croakie around my neck.

Of course, it's possible that your subtle sarcasm has eluded me ... :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom