Which Hawaiian island is best for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hahaha - I'm new here.

Digression is our second hobby.

Now that there are flights to Hawaii I'd like to book a trip but to which island should I fly if we are limited to shore diving? Hubby doesn't do well on boats.

FYI, the dive shops that I like are Big Island Divers in Kona and Kohala Divers in Kawaihae. You can get great deals on tanks with Blue Wilderness (they do a rental card) whether you are local or a tourist. They have locations in both Waikoloa Resort or Puako (they run the Puako General Store) and are nice people. I also like Aquatic Life, but they are a boat operation only.

Also, while shore diving here is the nicest, we also have the toughest entry and exits. You must wear booties and be prepared to walk/scramble over lava rock with tricky footing.

There are a few shops I avoid at all costs. They are all in Kona.

okay, okay, okay....here is the deal. GREAT shore diving in Maui, BUT also great shore diving on the big island of Hawaii. If you go to Maui and "swim out" (we are used to that in SoCal) you end up with a dive boat right next to you...so,l hahaha, I didn't pay for that. That said, you also can't make it to Molokeni, or Cathedrals without a boat. If you go to the big island TALK to the locals, my wife and I did a shore dive in a state park there that I am still trying to top - despite having been in Bon Aire, Florida Keys, Truk, Great Barrier Reif, etc, etc.

okay, okay, okay....here is the deal. GREAT shore diving in Maui, BUT also great shore diving on the big island of Hawaii. If you go to Maui and "swim out" (we are used to that in SoCal) you end up with a dive boat right next to you...so,l hahaha, I didn't pay for that. That said, you also can't make it to Molokeni, or Cathedrals without a boat. If you go to the big island TALK to the locals, my wife and I did a shore dive in a state park there that I am still trying to top - despite having been in Bon Aire, Florida Keys, Truk, Great Barrier Reif, etc, etc.
Talking to locals is tricky. Some of them can show you something terrific; however, I am under the impression that people who had lived there like, forever, tend to stick to the same couple of sites. I've met local divers who only switch between Honaunau and Keauhou Bay, and I've met divers who dive only at Ke'ei, of all places. This is just a personality thing. Here on SB some guy stated that he only dives at Puako when he dives the Big Island. To each his own, and I am more like Captain Cook type, always trying to explore around, so what I found useful is, I had to talk to a dozen locals to get the big picture.

To each his own, and I am more like Captain Cook type, always trying to explore around, so what I found useful is, I had to talk to a dozen locals to get the big picture.
When in Hawaii, I definitely do not want to be like Captain Cook. I save that for Vancouver.

When in Hawaii, I definitely do not want to be like Captain Cook. I save that for Vancouver.
I'd rather be eaten eventually than dive in Ke'ei all my life :)

Talking to locals is tricky. Some of them can show you something terrific; however, I am under the impression that people who had lived there like, forever, tend to stick to the same couple of sites. I've met local divers who only switch between Honaunau and Keauhou Bay, and I've met divers who dive only at Ke'ei, of all places. This is just a personality thing. Here on SB some guy stated that he only dives at Puako when he dives the Big Island. To each his own, and I am more like Captain Cook type, always trying to explore around, so what I found useful is, I had to talk to a dozen locals to get the big picture.

I think that's true. Some people stick to places they love and some of us like to venture out and about. There is a Facebook group called Kona Reefers. You can join it and look for local divers to go out with if you want. If I'm not busy, I'm happy to go out and dive with you or recommend some sites.

People can get a little squirrely, as well, about sharing a site because they don't want them to get crowded with tourists. Same with beaches. Seriously, I've had people tell me off for telling guests at my vacation rental about my favorite places that they should check out. For Pete's sake. Big Island Revealed has already given away all of the beaches if you check it out in depth or pick up older versions of the darn book.

I know I mentioned it already, but on the Big Island you are climbing over lava rock to get in and out of the water. You need to PAY ATTENTION. I am currently on crutches for two more weeks after busting up my ankle getting out of the water on a shore dive last week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom