Which Hawaiian island is best for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you enter in the cove? That spot looks gnarly when the wind chop gets up but I have yet to have a problem getting out there, provided I angle in to the left/west back corner if the swell is up. That's the thing about Kona shore diving, almost any spot quickly becomes dangerous if the swell is up at all. My rule of thumb is 1.5ft max on the magicseaweed.com forecast for most anywhere except 2-step and Old Airport, and that is especially true for Puako where you also have to watch the tide status. Any place that water can move in and out or stream up over the shoreline bench can get really bad. It is unnerving to be close the rocks when the water is sloshing and too bubbled to see anything, but give me the elevator motion without lateral current up against the bench in 15 or 20 ft of water, over the shallow entry/exit anytime.

We were at the southern end of Old A. Down near the ball fields, if you are familiar with the area. It was my first time there. I usually dive in Puako, Mahukona, Kawaihae...more up north.

The swell came in so high that it was breaking over the rocks that formed the cove we were in. Lesson learned. Scout your exit well. Don't just check out your entry point.

Pebble beach is another shore dive site where the exit can be quite sporty.

We were at the southern end of Old A. Down near the ball fields, if you are familiar with the area. It was my first time there. I usually dive in Puako, Mahukona, Kawaihae...more up north.

The swell came in so high that it was breaking over the rocks that formed the cove we were in. Lesson learned. Scout your exit well. Don't just check out your entry point.
Been down by the house there once or twice, like the spot when calm. Exits are the tough half most places, and if you can't find a spot protected by even a bit of rock, it's hairy when the seas start moving. Kona bench and beach diving has a learning curve for sure.

I head up north there often but have had a hard time finding good shore dives. Didn't care for Mahukona - maybe haven't tried it enough, and a couple of other obvious spots near there were also disappointments. The area between Kawaihae and there looks promising, but haven't figured out how to get from the road to the shore. Most access spots have been blocked off.

Yeah, Pebble Beach is one of those that just looks like some low beach breakers, but with just a bit of swell you wonder if you'll ever get out. At least it's deep in close so you can just hang a couple yards off and try to time it. I think the fish in the bay get fed 'cause I've been mobbed just off the beach by fish who aren't very wary.

I've always been a bit surprised about the casual recommendations for shore diving Puako. Every access point seems pretty tricky, and goes from tricky but manageable to near-deadly with very little worsening of conditions. Even end of the road has a pretty low threshold for swell height before it becomes harrowing.
For this very reason, I only recommend diving the end of road and only in high tide.

Did you enter in the cove? That spot looks gnarly when the wind chop gets up but I have yet to have a problem getting out there, provided I angle in to the left/west back corner if the swell is up. That's the thing about Kona shore diving, almost any spot quickly becomes dangerous if the swell is up at all. My rule of thumb is 1.5ft max on the magicseaweed.com forecast for most anywhere except 2-step and Old Airport, and that is especially true for Puako where you also have to watch the tide status. Any place that water can move in and out or stream up over the shoreline bench can get really bad. It is unnerving to be close the rocks when the water is sloshing and too bubbled to see anything, but give me the elevator motion without lateral current up against the bench in 15 or 20 ft of water, over the shallow entry/exit anytime.
With the swells 2+ ft visibility becomes so bad that shore diving makes no sense anyway. Your last resort is 2-step and only if you swim to the northern side of the bay. I could get in and out at Hookena or even at Pebble Beach but visibility was close to 1-2 ft.

Shore diving at Dog Beach/Crescent beach in Kona is great. That's right by the harbor. Lots of fish, sometimes dolphins, and tiger sharks.

End of the road at Puako is a lovely spot.

Nudi Madness is Kawaihae is fantastic.

House 38 is Puako is good.

Hi,

You have described some of the best kept Hawaiian Islands diving “secrets”.

Puako is a bit of a drive from Kailua, but really worth it. The entry at my favorite spot is a bit tricky, but House 38 is easy. The residents are sensitive re their privacy—so be good citizens!

Dog Beach is a very easy entry.

upload_2020-7-11_9-12-39.jpeg

The photo is a typical End of the Road scene at Puako.

Joe

The hike over unstable, rocky, rather sharp lava field to NAIA/Dog/CrescentBeach, with gear, is borderline dangerous and always a bit difficult but “yes” once you survive that ordeal the actual sandy beach entry is quite easy. I have seen two divers fall and be cut and left bleeding in the lava field and I’m not there that often. Certainly tough for older or out of shape divers. Just to fill in the big picture.

They also are closing gates there as it’s becoming something of a homeless encampment with associated problems. You will have longer walk from where you’re allowed to park although the added distance of maybe 150 yds would be road.

I also don’t think all Puako entries require high tide, but it helps.

The hike over unstable, rocky, rather sharp lava field to NAIA/Dog/CrescentBeach, with gear, is borderline dangerous and always a bit difficult but “yes” once you survive that ordeal the actual sandy beach entry is quite easy.

I also don’t think all Puako entries require high tide, but it helps.

Hi,

I agree on all counts: I guess I am just so used to that “stroll” to Dog Beach that I’ve probably forgotten the first couple of times I did it.

And, yes, Puako is best done at high tide for the End of the Road, but House 38 is fine whatever the tide.

I guess I should also mention that, in my experience, you need to watch where you wade in at House 38–sea urchins are just waiting for the careless diver!

Joe

They also are closing gates there as it’s becoming something of a homeless encampment with associated problems. You will have longer walk from where you’re allowed to park although the added distance of maybe 150 yds would be road.
Some recent development? Where exactly the gates are and how they operate?

Some recent development? Where exactly the gates are and how they operate?

They have closed gates on road at Jack’s (always can phone them )so it adds 150 yds to your entry ‘hike.’ Still can park but now you park farther away. Doesn’t stop homeless or thieves from wandering in but whatever. (There seems to be a trend of punishing law-abiding people for misdeeds of others as opposed to enforcing the law.). I did not like the look of some of latest batch of homeless who hang out there now. Earlier group didn’t look or act dangerous but that’s not the case as of a few days ago. Still, I dove with a group in the AM and had no problems. Wouldn’t take my family there or linger around dusk. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom