Which Hawaiian island is best for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They have closed gates on road at Jack’s (always can phone them )so it adds 150 yds to your entry ‘hike.’ Still can park but now you park farther away. Doesn’t stop homeless or thieves from wandering in but whatever. (There seems to be a trend of punishing law-abiding people for misdeeds of others as opposed to enforcing the law.). I did not like the look of some of latest batch of homeless who hang out there now. Earlier group didn’t look or act dangerous but that’s not the case as of a few days ago. Still, I dove with a group in the AM and had no problems. Wouldn’t take my family there or linger around dusk. YMMV.
Thanks! Makes no sense to me but nothing does these days...

Photo of gate. Keeps cars out. Not homeless.
upload_2020-7-12_17-5-23.jpeg

Photo of gate. Keeps cars out. Not homeless.
View attachment 597840

Looks like it blocks the parking for Jack's, Big Island Divers and Aquatic Life, as well. Or can you still make the turn into the lot right before that gate? Which, of course, would make the gate a moot point.

I had heard that the DLNR has taken the position that anyone who needs to be there already has a key, so they are locking things up.

Hi,

You have described some of the best kept Hawaiian Islands diving “secrets”.

Joe

Yes. Except, you can pick up a map at Jack's that lists shore diving sites around the island and they are all listed. I think that House 38 is on there, too, but I could be wrong. I've been at sites before and there were a couple of tourists diving and I asked them how they knew about the site and out comes the map from Jack's. Shore diving sites are pretty safe from inundation, though. Most people boat dive. Shore diving takes a lot more work.

True, though, that the local in Puako value their privacy. Everyone should always be respectful anywhere they dive - whether it's in Puako or at Dog Beach. The adage of "leave no trace" comes to mind.

0414B54A-F3CD-43F7-8AFF-9F4ABF39C10D.jpeg
Yes. Except, you can pick up a map at Jack's that lists shore diving sites around the island and they are all listed. I think that House 38 is on there, too, but I could be wrong. I've been at sites before and there were a couple of tourists diving and I asked them how they knew about the site and out comes the map from Jack's.

But very few people know to ask at Jack’s. Nonetheless, maybe it’s time to protest their indiscretion by publicly burning my Jack’s hoody!

Joe

I don't know where Nudi Madness is, but the harbor beach and various Puako entries have been published online and in dive books for years, if not decades already. If that's the road down the left side of the harbor, it's a shame it's now closed. The harbor beach dive was usually an interesting one.

View attachment 597962

But very few people know to ask at Jack’s. Nonetheless, maybe it’s time to protest their indiscretion by publicly burning my Jack’s hoody!

Joe

LOL! I guess it depends on how much you like the hoody - and the shop. I like Big Island Divers and Aquatic Life. Kona Diving Company is running kama'aina rates right now that are the cheapest I've seen around at the moment, though. I'd like to give them a try since I have a friend who works for their shop.

When Jack's gave the map to me a couple of years ago I didn't ask for it. We were talking about shore diving and they just gave it to me. One of the DM's has drawn out the entry points and dive routes at MahuKona.

If that's the road down the left side of the harbor, it's a shame it's now closed.

It would be a pity if indeed that’s the case. Harbor beach is a great shore dive spot.

LOL! I guess it depends on how much you like the hoody - and the shop.

The say confession is good for the soul: truth be told, I haven’t dived (dove/dave) with Jack’s in ages. I just happen to like their hoody.

My favorite Kona dive boat is operated by Pacific Rim—and I love their t-shirts. Alas, no hoody.

But my absolute favorite used to be Sandwich Isle Divers. Sadly Lara and Steve closed their shop awhile back. No hoody, either, but a great sweatshirt that I wear only rarely: it’s becoming an antique!

93C26038-29FC-4726-9494-7FC2077CA232.jpeg
702B1711-EA9E-4328-B6D9-6FE9CA5158A8.jpeg

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom