Which HARNESS and why? for your BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to argue that plastic is as rugged as steel, please just supply me with:

1) One cylinder or hammer.
2) One plastic buckle.
3) One steel buckle.

I'll perform a little 'experiment' to end the debate. Care to wager? :wink:

Exactly. They and their staff put their lives on the line to show that their equipment work under extreme conditions.

Will you please stop being a drama queen.
Nobody puts their 'lives on the line'. Nobody is a "gonna die". Buckles aren't going to kill anyone. That has been stated clearly on this thread already.

Why do you always steer threads in this direction? You are usually the first person to whine when people show a 'DIR mentality'... so why do you lead topics into that sort of black-and-white / life-or-death standard of reasoning?

DevonDiver;5652659]If you want to argue that plastic is as rugged as steel, please just supply me with:

2) One plastic buckle.
3) One steel buckle.

Steel bends, plastic breaks. Steel will bend and be mostly unusable with forces that don't break the plastic. We do this experiment all the time (although with Titanium not steel) so it depends on the bet. If the bet is which will break first, you will clearly win. If it is can I hit the buckle with enough force to make it unusable but not break then plastic will win. This from a guy who just put a steel buckle on his rig from Andy's advice.

Bill

Every time I click on page 16 it send me to page 15...

Which is where my test post showed up. Interesting. Sorry for noise.

Every time I click on page 16 it send me to page 15...

Which is where my test post showed up. Interesting. Sorry for noise.

Yes - Discovered that myself this morning... A moderator may have taken over the thread:popcorn:

Update... Seems I pushed it over the edge.

DevonDiver;5652659]If you want to argue that plastic is as rugged as steel, please just supply me with:

2) One plastic buckle.
3) One steel buckle.

Steel bends, plastic breaks. Steel will bend and be mostly unusable with forces that don't break the plastic. We do this experiment all the time (although with Titanium not steel) so it depends on the bet. If the bet is which will break first, you will clearly win. If it is can I hit the buckle with enough force to make it unusable but not break then plastic will win. This from a guy who just put a steel buckle on his rig from Andy's advice.

Bill

Let me add that certain plastics will flex (within it's limits of elasticity) many cycles without any degredation where metals weaken nominally each time flexed and when they hit it's cycle limit fails suddenly. This is true of all metals. It is one of the characteristics that lead to a choice of plastic over metal in manufactured products.

Just retired my poodle jacket. That thing has 2 plastic buckles and 2 plastic D-rings. Bought the vest in 1990, same original plastic buckles/D-rings still intact. Plastic breaks, but not very often. I now have a OMS SS BP w/ a Comfort II harness with……2plastic buckles! Now I have spares!

Will you please stop being a drama queen.[/B] Nobody puts their 'lives on the line'. Nobody is a "gonna die". Buckles aren't going to kill anyone. That has been stated clearly on this thread already.

Why do you always steer threads in this direction? You are usually the first person to whine when people show a 'DIR mentality'... so why do you lead topics into that sort of black-and-white / life-or-death standard of reasoning?

Will you stop being a know-it-all? Newsflash, you may be a pretty well trained diver cum instructor, but God didn't annoint you to be the be-all-end-all of diver.

First you DIR type said how important it is to have HOG harness because of entanglement hazards while diving wreck/cave. Then you said it's for convenience because you don't want the plastic buckles to break. So which is it?

I'm not the one that started the "you're gonna die" stuff. You men-in-black are the ones that talk about jeopardies and failure points. I figure I'd just give you a taste of your own medicine.

Which is it? Is it for convenience or is it because of "life support"?

Figure that out and let me know.

If you want to argue that plastic is as rugged as steel, please just supply me with:

2) One plastic buckle.
3) One steel buckle.

Sure, I'll give you this hammer. Care to wager?

2-Way%20Plastic-Rubber%20Mallet.gif

First you DIR type said how important it is to have HOG harness because of entanglement hazards while diving wreck/cave.

Firstly, I am not a 'DIR type'. I've said that before.

Secondly, any diver who uses line within a cave or wreck should make an effort to minimise the likelihood of entanglement. That's not DIR... that's just common sense.

I am not saying that divers will die. Entanglement is a PITA...and in the worst instance may require the guideline to be cut. It's better to avoid that scenario completely. Good line skills, buoyancy and propulsion are the key aspects to that. Minimising any snag points is another.

Then you said it's for convenience because you don't want the plastic buckles to break. So which is it?

It is both. Not every diver uses line within a cave or wreck. Most divers enjoy simple OW recreational diving. For them, the drawback of complex harnesses may be the possibility of buckle failure/breakage - which could ruin a dive or a diving trip.

It's not an earth-shaking factor in the selection of a harness - but it is still a factor that a diver should be aware of when selecting and investing in their equipment. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not the one that started the "you're gonna die" stuff. You men-in-black are the ones that talk about jeopardies and failure points. I figure I'd just give you a taste of your own medicine.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about tech/DIR/cave...whatever. With all due respect... it does make you over-react and leap to assumptions. I am not a DIR devotee...and I resent being treated like one and having valid points dismissed because of your pre-conceptions. It comes across as pretty close-minded.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about tech/DIR/cave...whatever. With all due respect... it does make you over-react and leap to assumptions. I am not a DIR devotee...and I resent being treated like one and having valid points dismissed because of your pre-conceptions. It comes across as pretty close-minded.

Back at you Devon, with all due respect. There are a lot of experienced Tech/cave divers and instructors on this board, myself included; preach elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom